Moisture in Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonshae

Reaction score
I have two containers of Damp Rid, but they aren't doing squat. I have an ever increasing puddle in the bottom of my kegerator. Is there anything that works better, or am I forced to soak this stuff up with a towel every few weeks?

I have two containers of Damp Rid, but they aren't doing squat. I have an ever increasing puddle in the bottom of my kegerator. Is there anything that works better, or am I forced to soak this stuff up with a towel every few weeks?

I've recently come into this issue as well and had assumed that something like damp rid would have done the trick. I opened up my chest freezer lid last night for the first time in at least a month to find that there was just a ton of condensation in it. Not only that but the vinyl caulking that I added to the seems was just jelly (REALLY strange - I'd never seen anything like it...it was fully cured at room temp for over a week prior to turning the thing back on)

I was also looking at this site for a potential bulk order of some kind of industrial absorbant (if needed):

http://www.deltaadsorbents.com/index.asp

Do you open and close the lid alot? I NEVER do and I still have a bunch of condensation.

If opening the door isn't the issue, your fridge may not be airtight. Check the door seals and look for any other possible air leaks (for example, near the thermostat probe).

Refrigeration drys air and the interior only has moisture if you are adding it by other means.

Leaky seals
Open hole

Condensation is unavoidable. You're holding that kegerator at chill temperatures...not freezing temps.

I use one of these (from Lowe's) to make wiping up the floor of the chiller easier ($9.00).
Mop.jpg

I take it you use this in your set up?

I use it in my fermenation chamber, which is a 23cft chest freezer converted to maintain 65deg w/ a Ranco controller.

I used DampRid for a while, but even then I still had small pools of water on the bottom from the condensation running down the inside of the freezer walls.

Installed that puppy and haven't looked back since. The cool thing is that when absorbs as much liquid as it can all you have to do is plug it in and it drys out. Then you place it back in and it goes to work.

Amazon is having a deal til the end of May where you purchase $29 or more of the EvaDry items you get $10 off using the coupon code " EVADRY58 ".

I might pick up a couple more at that price. I paid Almost $30 for mine and using that code you could get two for $36 shipped.

I use it in my fermenation chamber, which is a 23cft chest freezer converted to maintain 65deg w/ a Ranco controller.

I used DampRid for a while, but even then I still had small pools of water on the bottom from the condensation running down the inside of the freezer walls.

Installed that puppy and haven't looked back since. The cool thing is that when absorbs as much liquid as it can all you have to do is plug it in and it drys out. Then you place it back in and it goes to work.

Amazon is having a deal til the end of May where you purchase $29 or more of the EvaDry items you get $10 off using the coupon code " EVADRY58 ".

I might pick up a couple more at that price. I paid Almost $30 for mine and using that code you could get two for $36 shipped.

Thanks for the tip. One more thing for the list :)

Do the old dollar bill trick with the lid/door seal.

Close a dollar bill in the door/lid seal. If you can easily pull it out, the seal is bad. There should be a fair amount of resistance when pulling out the bill.

Adding some weatherproofing door strips from the hardware store solved my problem. You can use the thick foam type, or there's some I found that is has a ribbed surface with adhesive to attach to door. Perfect.

I have two containers of Damp Rid, but they aren't doing squat.

If "aren't doing squat" means not pulling any moisture at all into the open area below the DampRid material then we have one problem. DampRid is not used by opening the top of the box, but I assume you already know that. Just mentioning it for onlookers who are not yet privvy to the wonders of DampRid. The material sits on a false bottom. It appears that the moisture reacts with the material and precipitates out the bottom into a little holding area for occasional dumping. I do mine with a glass coffee cup and a sieve and it yanks water vapor like a champ.

If "aren't doing squat" means I'm having to dump the accumulated liquid 2x a day and there's still more coming then we have a different problem, likely seals or massive water vapor production.

Thanks Anthony...just ordered two.

I tend to open it occasionally (I keep my remaining bottled beer inside), which definitely lets moist air in. The seal around the lid is good, I checked that. As for the Damp Rid, it never even has any liquid in the bottom below the false bottom holding the stuff. It has solidified into a block, which may be why it isn't working. I'll check the underside of the collar, but I think that's well sealed, too.

I think I am going to pick up some of those other units suggested; I've used something similar in a closet, and they worked great.

I'll check the underside of the collar, but I think that's well sealed, too.

This will be a never ending debate because people from different parts of the country will have different experiences.

Regardless of how well sealed the keezer is, it's the ambient humidity that is the key driver in condensation.

You simply cannot avoid it. I notice that my condensation issues disappear in the winter when the air is dry. Once the warmer, more humid season approaches, it's back to dealing with puddles.

It has solidified into a block, which may be why it isn't working.

Mine solidified first, then started "dissolving" out after that, so it still has hope. I added a second for the summer, but I may switch to one of the eva dry units too.

Thanks Anthony...just ordered two.

See...I can understand BierMuncher having to order something like this. Most of my family is in St. Louis and I KNOW what it's like out there in terms of humidity (youch), but it's just BONE dry in LA most of the time. Guess I might just plop down the cash and see if it works...

Anyone have any follow-up on their purchases of the EvaDry units? I'm having the same problem as others with the DampRid turning to a solid block and no moisture in the bottom of the container ever.

I tried DampRid for a while on my 20cf freezer. it worked a little, but i still had to soak up puddles from the corner every once in a while.

I got two EvaDry units from Amazon when they were running the deal to buy a 300 and a 500 (just checked, the deal is still on). Now the floor of the keezer is bone dry. The walls still have a little moisture on them, but the EvaDry units are doing a great job.

I tried DampRid for a while on my 20cf freezer. it worked a little, but i still had to soak up puddles from the corner every once in a while.

I got two EvaDry units from Amazon when they were running the deal to buy a 300 and a 500 (just checked, the deal is still on). Now the floor of the keezer is bone dry. The walls still have a little moisture on them, but the EvaDry units are doing a great job.

I cant seem to find the deal you're referring to...where did you see that?

I'm having moisture issues...

Let me back up... I popped open my keezer the other day and found puddles from condensation all over the place. Mold had started to sprout in little colonies on the tops of the cornies and I noticed it in all the cracks of the keezer as well. Sweet... Just when I wanted to show off my selection to a bunch of work buddies. That'll have to wait.

Anyway, I just finished cleaning that thing, and would rather never repeat the experience. Typed "keezer moisture" in the search and found this thread. Long story short, Just bought two of the EVA-Dry 500's for 35 shipped. I'll let you all know how well they work in a few weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Long story short, Just bought two of the EVA-Dry 500's for 35 shipped. I'll let you all know how well they work in a few weeks.

bump.

Soo... how'd they work out? I'm just putting my keezer together now (got a chest freezer for $40 off of craig's list!! :ban: Gonna order the temp control for $52 from northernbrewer, make a collar with some wood I already have and bam! Keezer for <$100)

I'd rather just avoid the whole moisture/mold problem instead of going through what you did... what's the report on the Eva-Dry's?

I have had my Eva-Dry units in for a while now. With a 300 and 500, there is absolutely no moisture issue! It takes about 2 weeks for the units to be "full" and then I just plug them into the wall for a few hours and put them back. These things are a miracle!

Mine is - but it really only became useful at all when I did this to it.

With that hack it pulls a good 5 ounces of moisture out between dryings - which can be as frequent as 9-10 days during the humid season here...

Cheers!

Back