My Sad Plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
Here is a shot of one of my Hallertauers. They were both doing rather well until a wind storm a couple of weeks ago knocked them off their ropes. Actually, all the plants started having trouble around the same time. You can see how the newer growth is quite pale. Interveinal tissue of the young leaves is almost transparent.
Hallertauer_D1a.jpg

Closer shot of same plant showing pale yellow color, and curling of leaves. Also note underdeveloped/burned center lobe. Before finally drying out, tips would be dark green/black and would seem overly "wet".
Hallertauer_D1b.jpg

The Sterlings are, by far, faring the worst. Overall shot showing yellowing of new growth. Older leaves tend to be paper-like rather than supple. Growth is rather stunted.
Sterling_D1b.jpg

Closer shot of base of plant. Older lower leaves on most plants began to show mottled chlorosis which eventually became necrotic. The color in this photo doesn't truly illustrate the lightness of the younger growth (see previous picture and pictures of Hallertauer). Note how in some of the leaves the veins are darker than other parts of the leaf. This characteristic shows up on the other plants as well. It's not apparent in this picture, but many lateral growing tips on most all plants have some browing on the edges of the emerging leaves. All but one of the growing tips in this picture are actually laterals/side arms from the original bine - Another trait just about all plants share.
Sterling_D1a.jpg

The other Sterling. Bascially the same as the previous plant, but generally in worse shape. Pretty much all the necrotic lower leaves have since been removed.
Sterling_D2a.jpg

Picture of a leaf on the Saaz. This plant is doing the best of the bunch, and I really don't have much worry with this one. However, this plant too has the occasional curled leaf with underdeveloped central lobe.
Saaz_D1a.jpg

It may take some time for them to come along and get a good root foundation to supply nutrients. My Sterlings are also proving to be a bit of a puzzle. I outright killed 2 out of 5 via rot, and the others aren't growing well, not dying, just not growing at a good rate. They seem to have different requirements than my other plants.

With the amount of rain we've been getting, it's very likely that too much water is at least part of the problem. One source I've found says that Iron chlorosis is a symptom of overwatering. My understanding is that Saaz tends to prefer wetter climates, which might explain why it's doing better than the others. However, some symptoms like the curling/black leaf tips were showing up before the heavy rains, and the Sterlings have never looked all that great to begin with.

Anyway, we're finally in the midst of a decent dry spell, so if the problems do stem from too much water, hopefully they'll start showing some improvement pretty soon. Otherwise, I think I'm getting possible nutrient issues narrowed down.

Latest posts

Back