Herms system/pump cart/Grain mill fabrication

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebering

Reaction score
Well I have made some strides with the system I am putting together and figured it was as good a time as any to put some pictures up and get some input. Always looking for input/advice!

First off here is the stand/sanke fabrication thus far, lots to do still!

Kegs Drilled.jpg

Kegs Drilled

Stand Built.jpg

Stand Built

Fittings Welded and  Sight Glasses in.jpg

Fittings Welded/Sight Glasses in

Stand Painted Kegs Polished.jpg

False Bottom.jpg

Here is some more progress on my grain milling station.
We had an old counter top kicking around so I figured may as well use it for the grain milling station with the crankandstein 3D roller mill.

I really wanted to bottom mount the mill and didn't want to use pulleys and belt drive the mill so I rigged it up slightly UN-traditionally using a Canadian Tire sale hammer drill (5 year exchange warrant, so when I burn it out can just grab a new one and re mount!). I then wired in a switch that powers a receptacle under the tabletop that the drill is plugged into. A zip tie on the trigger at the right speed and it runs like a dream.

Drill Rough in.jpg

Roughed in the location for the drill

Mill Flange.jpg

Mounted the flange I made and the mill itself

Drill mounted wiring done.jpg

Mounted the drill and completed the wiring

Hopper mounted.jpg

Mounted the hopper to the table top

Attachments

• False Bottom Installed.jpg
    False Bottom Installed.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 682
Here is the last of what I have done up until now!

This is the pump cart I built with two March 809-PL-C pumps as well as a 40 plate chiller as well as the system up to date. Still lots to do, now comes electronics/computerization using the BCS system and relays. Will be electric mash and HLT and a direct fired kettle.

Pump Cart Started.jpg

Start of the pump cart, bent up some stainless scrap I had laying around and mounted to ply.

Pump Cart with Castors.jpg

Castors in!

Pump Cart Done.jpg

Added the wort chiller mounted on some painted steel I bent up

Pump Cart with Fittings.jpg

Fittings Installed and ready to rock

Done and Ready for Electronics.jpg

System Up to Date, still lots to do

Sweet job with the table tops.

I don't know why I never thought of using a zip tie or something along that lines for my drill, at the right speed. I could add a switch as you did and BAM.
I did this same thing with other projects in the past, never came to mind when using the drill on my mill. Thanks for the memory jog!

Sweet job with the table tops.

I don't know why I never thought of using a zip tie or something along that lines for my drill, at the right speed. I could add a switch as you did and BAM.
I did this same thing with other projects in the past, never came to mind when using the drill on my mill. Thanks for the memory jog!

Actually the drill/zip-tie/switch setup works significantly better than I ever thought it would! Starts no problem with 50lbs of grain in the hopper.

Had some time this weekend and got the floor and gutter in place!
This is on the second floor of our barn and drains down into totes where I will let it settle and correct the ph and use it to drip irrigate my hops

Floor & Gutter.jpg

A bit confused - what are you intentionally going to be dumping on the floor that you need all the collection facilities?

Cheers!

A bit confused - what are you intentionally going to be dumping on the floor that you need all the collection facilities?

Cheers!

Well it is a 200 year old barn and there is no drainage/septic in place, as such my cooling water and whatever cleanup water I use (pbs/star san) will end up in there! The floor will be getting covered with studded pvc sheeting and it is sloped to the drain. Basically just trying to avoid hauling any waste water to the house drain.

Finally Made some progress in the past couple weeks and snapped some pictures, automation is underway (BCS controller), working on getting all of the processes programmed in but all of the vessels and pumps are now in place and wired/plumbed.

Here is a quick shot of our electrical setup, lights will be installed on the front of the panel but this is the guts
Electrical Panel Close.jpg

Kegs and pump cart finally done with sight glasses and whatnot put in
Kegs and Pump Cart.jpg

Storage area for corneys/grain/whatever other junk there is room for
Grain and Keg Storage.jpg

Mill in place
Mill.jpg

And the business end of the brew area partially set up!
Brew Area.jpg

Been a long haul, but I am getting there slowly but surely. Hoping to finally be brewing again by the weekend!

Back