Brohemian Marzen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Liked the sound of a Dortmunder Export but wanted something a little more malty and a little bit stronger. Liked the sound of a Marzen but wanted something a little more golden in colour and a bit more hoppy in the aroma. So I hashed together a blend just to try it out.

5 gal Mini mash with following recipe:

Est. OG: 1.063
IBU: 25.29
SRM: 7.4

3lbs Pale 2 row
3lbs Munich 10L
4lbs Light DME

1oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Saaz @ 25
1oz Hallertau @ 5

WLP830 (German Lager)

Mashed the gains at 150 for 45 minutes in 8qts (BIAB Style, or maybe more like brew in three bags. I dont have a proper BIAB bag yet).

Added 7qts while heating to boil.

Added 1lb DME at 60 and the rest at flame out.

Cooled the wort down to +/- 70

Topped up to 5 gallons.

OG: 1.064

Pitched at +/- 65, have spent the last 12 hours cooling it down. Currently at 54 (no signs of fermentation yet), and will let it hold at 50 once I get there.

Planning on 2 weeks primary @ 50
2 days D rest @ 70
4 weeks lagering @35 (in cornie in fridge)

photo(4).jpg

Fermentation started.

Temp is 53. Guess I'll need to add another frozen 2 liter to keep the temps down now that fermentation is going full speed.

I love these cool brewing things. Fermenting a lager at 53 with no more than a few frozen 2 liters and switching a couple out every 12 hours or so.

JayDubWill said:
wow, that looks darker than I would have expected from the grain bill. Keep us posted!

It's likely just a flash trick, it looks reasonably light to naked eye!

Back