Vintage GE fridge gasket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
I scored a cheap GE 50's fridge. It's missing the racks (not a prob, gonna keg), but it works well and is quiet. But the inside door panel sweats a bit. I've found gaps in the door seal.

Have any of you found a decent resource for replacement door seals for old fridges? Or is there another avenue to try? I've considered just picking up weather stripping from the hardware store.

I used some thick weather stripping from Home Depot. I could not find an original gasket for the life of me........The weather stripping has worked fine for 3 years now and the fridge is still working strong.

As Tylerjones62 did, I used "High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping Tape" from Home Depot. It provides an excellent seal. I'm not sure how it will hold up, but I wouldn't mind if I did have to replace it in a few years.

Go to a good autoparts store like a car quest or napa. You can get a roll of stick on door seal gasket. It worked great on my 1941 kelvinator fridge.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to do some dressing up on this thing and post my pics in the boasting thread.

As Tylerjones62 did, I used "High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping Tape" from Home Depot. It provides an excellent seal. I'm not sure how it will hold up, but I wouldn't mind if I did have to replace it in a few years.

This sounds like a great (and cheap) solution -- what width and thickness of weatherstripping did you use?

...what width and thickness of weatherstripping did you use?

I used 1-1/4 in. wide x 7/16 in. thick High-Density Rubber Foam Weather Stripping Tape from Home Depot. It wasn't quite thick enough to fill the gap, so I have some attached to both the door and the chassis. It was incredibly hard to close the door the first few times, but after about a week it formed well. Now it closes like a dream and keeps a great seal.

Latest posts

Back