beer book recommendations.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanek17

Reaction score
hey beer lovers. im looking for a great beer book as i have no beer books yet. I am new to the alcohol making scene and i have made some wine succesfully. and have one wine book so far. but now i would like a good beer book! even though im new to this stuff iv been researching alot and picking up on it pretty well. so do you have any good beer book recomendations? i seen this book on amazon. and though it looks good has any one read it?

How to Brew: Everything You Need To Know To Brew Beer Right The First Time (Paperback)John J. Palmer**(197)

Yes i have the book which is the updated version of the free online version.The joy of homebrewing is a second book i have and still use for reference,i often use them as references.Its very good for starting,but get brewing more often,experience,questions are your best teacher.This forum is pretty valuable with live experienced brewers and noobs who have learned from them and through experience.Happy Brewing! We are live like the beers we drink.

Definitely get How to Brew. Also, you might want to pick up Brewing Classic Styles. There are a lot of other great titles, but if you're new to brewing, read these two first and absorb the information. Get a few brews under you're belt. These are great books to build a foundation of knowledge of brewing. Then you can move on to authors like Mosher, Noonan, Fix, etc.

How to Brew should be automatically issued to everyone looking to start brewing. I have that one, Brewing Classic Styles and Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione. I recommend all three, but How to Brew should definitely be your starting point.

Start with How to Brew, then go from there. If you're interested in history and the like, go with Brew Like a Monk or Farmhouse Ales or Wild Brews. If you want more technical recipe stuff go with Designing Great Beers.

But start with How to Brew. I still use it.

I'm going to recommend the Sam Calagione book, Extreme Brewing. Lots of pictures, great starter book. After that, get How To Brew by John Palmer, which goes into the nuts and bolts and can take you into all-grain brewing and lagering.

I'd start with Palmer and then go to Designing Great Beers and Brewing Classic Styles, and the couple of Mosher books. Gordon Strong has a decent book out as well if you are a few batches in and want to read about how he does things.

Papazian is also a good author. Some would say behind the times, but the information is still very much relevant and he has a KISS method of describing the process and an encouraging and infectious style.

I started out with HOMEBREWING FOR DUMMIES. Very very easy read. It is about 300 pages, but I finished it in a day, as there are lots of pictures and step-by-step how-to's.

I would highly recommend for a new brewer!

I started out with HOMEBREWING FOR DUMMIES. Very very easy read. It is about 300 pages, but I finished it in a day, as there are lots of pictures and step-by-step how-to's.

I would highly recommend for a new brewer!

Actually, I can attest to this. It's a very good book for the beginner. Well written and actually enjoyable to read.

Back