Ale - Base Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Looking for a base recipe for an Ale. An Ale with no significant or remarkable features. Just an Ale.

I've made the move into partial mashes and now I'm looking forward to All Grain. I'm going to BIAB on my first few AG batches until I can amass the capital and space for 3V system.

Until then, I'm looking for a simple plain base Ale recipe. Something to cut my teeth on. I'm not looking for a clone or spiced or something with a fancy name. Just an average boring Ale recipe. A recipe that can be my foundation for mistakes and experimentation. Since I'm ordering on-line, I have to order by the pound or ounce. So, I'd like to avoid fractions to avoid having left over ingredients.

I've been scrubbing the forums and internet but the recipes I've found are the ones that someone is incredibly proud of with years of tweaking.

Would anyone care to share a base recipe?

Lots of people will probably refer you to Ed Wort's Pale. And for good reason! It's easy, delicious, cheap, and very forgiving. Makes a great base for any pale, and is also an excellent starting point for tweaking.

Back