Flaked Quinoa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaced

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone used flaked quinoa in their brewing? If so, how did you go about using it and how well did it work out for you?

where did you find flaked quinoa?

ive used quinoa in a bunch of my brews. ive home malted and steeped. my last batch mashed toasted unmalted quinoa with added alpha and beta amalyase enzymes. i just racked it to secondary 3 days ago. im hoping this will allow me to not to have to malt because that just takes too much time. well see how it goes

I've seen it myself at Whole Foods.

FlakeBox.JPG

where did you find flaked quinoa?

ive used quinoa in a bunch of my brews. ive home malted and steeped. my last batch mashed toasted unmalted quinoa with added alpha and beta amalyase enzymes. i just racked it to secondary 3 days ago. im hoping this will allow me to not to have to malt because that just takes too much time. well see how it goes

Very interested in your results. I'm hoping to add some body, or at least some alcohol to my brews without sugar. The picture by No_Party, I'd say is similar to the stuff in Australia. Will get a photo, next time I'm in the shops.

i havent used quinoa flakes before. some one should try it.

as for my lastest batch, the recipe is as follows:

toasted 8# raw quinoa until desired color was reached (caramelish). i eyeball
toasted 1# flaked oats for the same amount of time as the quinoa.

waited 2 weeks, due to lack of time caused by finals

prepped my mash tun (5 gal round igloo drink cooler) by lining it with a nylon grain bag, added about a 2-3in layer of rice hulls, dumped in 4# of quinoa, then 1# oats, then last 4# of quinoa. heated spring water to 180F-ish and filled the tun to about 2 in from the top. the grain absorb a crap load of water. let it sit top off for a hour or two. till grain swells and temp comes down to 160f-ish. add a couple of tsp of crosby and baker amalyase enzyme mix and stir the grain, trying to avoid disturbing the rice hulls. cap it. and let it sit for 18-24 hours. during this 18-24 hours mix it a few times. dont go over board keep the lid on as much as possible. after 24 hours my temp was at 120F.

heat sparge water to 160F-ish and sparge slowly into the boil pot until a final volume of 6 gal is reached ( i shoot for 6 gal because of volume lost to evaporation). i had a potential alcohol reading telling me i could achieve 5%.

boil additions:

12oz maltodextrin preboil (everytime i add it during the boil i get goobers and boil over)
1# clover honey

.25 oz cascade @ 60 min
.5oz cascade @30 min
.25oz cascade @ 15 min

1.5 tsp irish moss @ 15min
2tsp yeast nutrients @ 15min
wort chiller @15min

cool as much as possible

i inoculated with a home isolated and cultured american heffewisen yeast

potential alc at this point was 6%

when i racked friday to secondary i was at a pot alc of .5-1%

well see where its at come next friday

Yeah, I just saw those in the health food store this last week for the first time and was wondering...

I was in the shops the other day and took some photos of what I'm talking about.

Quinoa
Quinoa.jpg

Flake Quinoa
FlakeQuinoa.jpg

And I also saw this stuff? Wondering how it would go in a brew?

CoffeeandChicoryEssence.jpg

if you can procure enzymes. then you might do well with the flaked quinoa. the top one looks like raw quinoa. malts super easy. im not sure of the diastolic power of the natural quinoa enzymes.

if you can procure enzymes. then you might do well with the flaked quinoa. the top one looks like raw quinoa. malts super easy. im not sure of the diastolic power of the natural quinoa enzymes.

What do you reckon? 150 degrees F for an hour or two for the flaked stuff, then throw in enzymes?

well, i generally toss boiling water over my grain. let it rest to about 160F then toss enzymes. the alpha and beta amalyase enzymes have different optimal temperatures. the more traditional way of using them is to bring your mash up to like 135F and add enzymes, then hold temp for a period of time. then with a h2o addition bring the temp up to 160F then hold temp for a period of time.

im lazy and like the 24 hour mash method. bring h20 to boil. add h2o to mash tun with grain. wait for temp to fall to 160F add enzymes and wait till tomorrow. after 24hr the final temp should be around 120F

see above for more of my process

Back