Alton Brown calls an end to 'Good Eats'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sad news foodies and brewers,

After 249 episodes, "Good Eats" is no more.

Alton Brown called an end to his instructional half-hour show yesterday, announcing it to fans as his first post on Twitter:

"G.E. fans, I've decided to cut the half hour series at 249 eps. There will be 3 new 1 hour eps this year and that's it. But mourn not. New things brew on the horizon..."good" things."

The final new, half-hour episode aired last week.

The pilot for "Good Eats" aired originally on Chicago's WTTW in 1998 before it was picked up by the Food Network. It became such a staple of the network that reruns aired twice daily for years. It also became one of the Food Network's most respected shows, picking up Peabody and Beard awards along the way (including a Beard on Friday for "TV food personality/host"), largely because of Brown's genial Mr. Science-meets-Chef approach.

Along the way "Good Eats" covered topics from steak (Episode 1: "Steak Your Claim") to Asian noodles (Episode 249: "Use Your Noodle 5") and everything in between.

No, really. Everything.

Here's the entire list of topics:

Steak, potatoes, eggs, salad, roasted chicken, ice cream, biscuits, gravy/roux, onion soup, fish, pasta, pilaf, chocolate, roasted turkey, fruitcake, fondue, grilled cheese, apples, pie crust, sugar/caramel, canning, shrimp, coffee, corn, fish and chips, ground beef, tomato sauce, mushrooms, clarified butter, pork ribs, tofu, mussels, quiche/custard/flan, duck, chocolate chip cookies, grilling, pickling, butter, pancakes/maple syrup, cabbage, pizza, beans, poaching, turkey leftovers, smoking/smoked salmon, pressure cooking, fried chicken, lobster, ham, angel food cake, pot roast, honey, garlic, mayonnaise, puff pastry, tea, chili peppers, gelatin, oats/haggis, crepes, roast beef, bacon, eggplant, cheesecake, squid/wok cooking, cocoa powder/brownies, squash, macaroni and cheese, clams, potatoes, tuna, strawberries, artichokes, yogurt, souffle, tomato, home brewing, dip, pork chops, choux pastry, casseroles, ravioli/tortellini, slaw, yellow cake, buttercream frosting, beets, roulade, crab, pulled pork, french omelet, muffins, chicken stock, sausage, steak/fajita/sirloin, steaming, grains, candy, sweet potato, sugar cookie, herbs, spices, corn dogs/sliders, fudge, nuts/pesto, lemon meringue pie, bread toast, banana, hollandaise sauce, oysters, flattened meat, doughnuts, wonton, chili con carne, sandwiches, soup, cheese, chocolate, grits/polenta, stuffing, pudding, melon, myths, coq au vin, carrots, leeks, baking, gyros, greens, rice, peas, shish kebab, beef jerky, ice cream, energy bar, sushi, cobbler, vinegar, waffle, meatball, avocado, pocket pie, eggnog, vanilla, beef tenderloin, cocktails, flounder, pad thai, scallop, olives, tortillas, barley, sweet yeast breads, cube steak, water, peaches, okra, squid, calamari, popcorn, peppercorns, deep fried turkey, lentils, tortillas, gumbo, cornish game hen, pomegranate, corned beef, espresso, spinach salad, milk, pretzels, coconut cake, substitutions, whole fish, dried fruit, beef stew, dill pickles, peanuts, green bean casserole, blueberries, marshmallow, knives, buffalo wings, apple pie, broccoli, crown of lamb, cranberry, cupcakes, dutch ovens, popovers, celery, tuna, oils, preservations, mincemeat, edamame, graham crackers, creole-style beans and rice, baklava, ginger, brussels sprouts, oranges, molasses, salmon, crawfish, tamales, spaghetti, pork tenderloin, parsnip, punch, breakfast, cooking with beer and wine, pound cake, trout, Japanese ingredients, spirits,diets, cocktails, salt, chicken and dumplings, curry, catfish, paella, porterhouse steak, grilled chicken, asparagus, eggs benedict, wood-fired pizzas, banana pudding, tacos, tempura, oats, homemade candy, summer squash, pumpkin pie, meringue, hummus, devil's food cake, chicken pot pie, lasagna, bouillabaisse, bread pudding, yeast rolls, cauliflower, Asian noodles.

Whew. That's a lot of eats. Considering that Brown has written and produced all of the episodes, he's earned a respite.

The show will continue in reruns, likely for years. There's an element of timelessness to the episodes and his early appearances, even ones from the '90s, still hold up because of their focus on basics, technique and the "why" of cooking.

As for Brown, he's the face of the "Iron Chef America" franchise as well as its "Next Iron Chef" spinoff. He's also done three different "Feasting On" road anthologies and appeared on numerous other shows, so he's not hurting for work. Production just began on the fourth season of "Next Iron Chef" and episodes will air in the fall.

The first episode I ever saw was the garlic one with Vlad the Count - I was hooked after that.

Scrap Iron Chef and the "chili, with an I" were two of my favorites from a story line standpoint.

I for sure got more into cooking because of this show (and like many, despite the flaws - Amber Waves got me more interested in home brewing), mainly because of its connection to science/chemistry, and its simplicity and practicality - I was never into Emeril and some of the others that would make a pine-nut crusted pork rib standing roast with flaming rosemary au gratin, etc....

I've made a lot of his recipes, used a lot of his techniques, bought a couple of his books, have a salt cellar full of kosher salt on the counter top now, but I will never, ever, make the meat loaf recipe again. Yuck!

Great show, and I'm a better cook because of it. :mug:

Here's a list of all of the shows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Good_Eats_episodes

Last year, when my daughter graduated from UGA, he gave the commencement address. It was an excellent speech as you might imagine. I liked the show and I will look forward to whatever he comes out with next.

I agree, 250 would have been great! I've got his books, and I think I've seen every episode. He inspired me to cook for sure, and I know SWMBO loves him for that!

He created a twitter account yesterday (@altonbrown) and said that he has something new in the works.

Hopefully it isn't on Food Network because they want to have now are reality shows. He could really help the Cooking Channel get started though.

AZ_IPA said:
If he starts any type of cake show, I'm gonna track him down and throat punch him.

Agreed. I'll have to find the cooking channel. He got the food network off the ground as far as I'm concerned!

Otherwise... Here comes another throat punch Alton!

I've been put off from watching the Cooking Channel since it isn't HD... So, I would have to issue a throat punch if he DID go to Cooking Channel.

i DON'T get BBC America HD though, which I'm pissed about. Uverse has it but not unless you buy like their top package or something.

so...doctor who, top gear, all standard def. :(

Love the show, it will be missed. Sometimes I'm impressed by the ingenuity of his cooking and gagetry but sometimes I just shake my head and think; "WTF are you DOING!". The steamed/baked-wing multi-tier contraption and the ladder-turned-fried-turkey-hoist are two that come to mind. I liked the 'Sesame Street' aspect of the show.

I agree about the cake show and/or another cooking 'reality' show. Just say no.

Will he still carry nutmeg in his pocket?

I'm glad he finally ended it! I was waiting and waiting to get all the episodes and now I can.

To be honest, I have not watched them all. I haven't really watched in a while. Normally I enjoy the show, but have focused on capturing the episodes that have recipes that I would actually make. And then brewing beer really started consuming my life, so a lot of my free time was then spent reading up on brewing beer.

I have a friend who has just about every single episode on his computer. I should see how much drive space it takes to hold all of them...

I really liked the show when he first started doing it, but for the last several years it just seems like he has been repeating himself an awful lot. At the time when he started I was living in Atlanta, so it was always fun to see him hanging around in local haunts on the show.

The one thing that I really liked about his show was that it introduced me to Shirley Corriher's work.

I have always been a foody and avid cook (Thanks Mom!). AB's no nonsense approach to cooking opened my eyes and inspired my family to try most of us would have more than likely never tried.

I found it to be "Good TV" that I could watch with my wife and son (now 10 yrs) in a time where there are very few show on the major networks that my wife and I deem acceptable for family viewing.

My whole family are true fans, we own 39 or 40 of his 41 essential kitchen gadgets and use them all regularly. It is a somber day in our house with this news, but I'm sure he will not disappoint all of his loyal followers.

I really liked the show when he first started doing it, but for the last several years it just seems like he has been repeating himself an awful lot. At the time when he started I was living in Atlanta, so it was always fun to see him hanging around in local haunts on the show.

The one thing that I really liked about his show was that it introduced me to Shirley Corriher's work.

I am a huge Good Eats and AB fan I have seen every single episode, most of the numerous times, own and read every single book he has put out, and own or built quite a few of his gadgets. With that said though, I think the last 2 years or so he and the show have changed a lot and not for the good in my opinion. He has started to come off as being arrogant and almost holier than thou in many different aspects. Many times almost like he is preaching about his ideals and whatnot. I noticed it was right about the time he lost all that weight 2 or 3 years ago.

I still faithfully watch the show and will probably watch whatever he comes out with in the future but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I did the earlier ones.

I have always been a foody and avid cook (Thanks Mom!). AB's no nonsense approach to cooking opened my eyes and inspired to try thing I would have more than likely never tried.

I found it "Good TV" that I could watch with my wife and son (now 10 yrs) in a time where there are very few show on the major networks that my wife and I deem acceptable. My whole family are true fans, we own 39 or 40 of his 41 essential kitchen gadgets.

I lvoe your avatar. That is one of my all time favorite movies.

sometimes I just shake my head and think; "WTF are you DOING!". The steamed/baked-wing multi-tier contraption and the ladder-turned-fried-turkey-hoist are two that come to mind.

My dad and I made the AB turkey derrick out of some scrap metal and it is awesome! Yes I prob could have used the mini coat hanger they give you in the fryer kits but I'm that guy. I was once voted most likely to talk science while drunk at a party.

I know where your coming from SpanishCastleAle, most normal people look at it and just ask why. I just tell them I'm a nurd and proud of it.

GE you will be missed

Ryan

He is the reason I started brewing. Watched his 30 min program on brewing beer. Went to the LHBS the very next day. Had a batch fermenting 2 days later.
I'm sure its not the last we will see of Alton Brown....
Cheers
Jay

Sad to hear. I love Good Eats, and his home brew episode is what got me to think, "Hmm, I should try home brewing again." I had home brewed about five times back in 1989-90. I just brewed batch number 50 on Wednesday.

My dad and I made the AB turkey derrick out of some scrap metal and it is awesome! Yes I prob could have used the mini coat hanger they give you in the fryer kits but I'm that guy. I was once voted most likely to talk science while drunk at a party.

I know where your coming from SpanishCastleAle, most normal people look at it and just ask why. I just tell them I'm a nurd and proud of it.

GE you will be missed

Ryan

I have made the derrick too. It only cost $10 and about 5 minutes of time and I thought it was well worth it.

Regarding Alton's 'Amber Waves' episode: I'd never seen anybody boil grains before that show. I was in a homebrewing lull at the time and hadn't made anything in a year or so. After watching that episode, I started searching for 'boiling malt' on the Internet and it led to me getting interested in doing decoctions.

I remember that 'Amber Waves' took a lot of heat at the time it aired for containing errors, but I have a spiced small beer recipe utilizing pure cane syrup and LME which uses a few of the same techniques from that show, including a long grain boil. It definitely makes for a different beer experience, but is something fun to do around the holidays and tastes quite good.

i am in the opposite boat, i have been brewing for a couple years and just saw the amber waves episode... there were several things he did in the episode that made me cringe. i love him in the kitchen, but he's not welcome in my brewery. ;)

i am in the opposite boat, i have been brewing for a couple years and just saw the amber waves episode... there were several things he did in the episode that made me cringe. i love him in the kitchen, but he's not welcome in my brewery. ;)

"Factually Accurate" and "Good TV" don't always go hand-in-hand.

There are a number of his recipes though, that I make with great regularity.

I routinely use the "Moo-less Chocolate Pie", his pizza dough, and a bunch of techniques from all of his episodes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/moo-less-chocolate-pie-recipe/index.html

Back