Little help appreciated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I'm a "returning newb". Brewed 50 or so gallons 8 years ago. Finished my last bottle, Irish Pub Stout, a few months ago. It tasted truly excellent with the aging. Anyway, got me hooked again. I have a grain/extract brown in primary until tommorrow, trusted recipe trainer to get my feet wet, and will be making second batch this weekend. It started as a hefe, but wife morphed into her request of a "potent honey wheat". Plan so far: (advice/warnings appreciated)

1 lb. wheat
8 oz. Crystal 120
8 oz. English Choc
(~70% efficiency)

6-7 lb. Wheat Extract (65/35)
3 lb. MO wildflower honey (pretty mild)

Bitter: 2 oz. Tett pellets 60 min
Flavor: 1 oz. Haller pellets 15 min

1 tbs. lemon zest last 10 min of boil

Wyeast Weizen

~OG 1.08

One more question, how do I classify something I made up after reading 30 or so various recipes? Weizen Dunkel? Weizenbock? Weizen Dopple? Triple? Is there a characteristic that trumps others so to speak? (IBU, OG-FG, %, other?) Not really important, I was just curious.

with an OG of 1.080 that puts you right at the top of a weizenbock, according to designing great beers. I wouldn't worry about specific classification unless you're planning on entering it into a competition. just call it a wheat beer and anyone who isn't a brewer or beer nut will get your drift.

oh and tell us how it turns out

thx Nik, yeah it isn't nearly as important as taste and no competition designs yet, I was just curious as I've never known. The New Complete Joy is my guide (probably outdated by now) and web searches but I couldn't isolate it to one style with all the variables.

Just racked the brown from the bucket to the carboy for 2nd, color looks good, aroma's seem right based on foggy memory, og 1.042 to .1028 at transfer. 2nd activity picked right back up after corked.

I forgot how much fun this is...

So, is the OG the determining factor in classification? (All else being equal) Again just curious...

No what? No, OG is not the determining factor? If so, do you know what is? No, my recipe is messed? No, somthing else? Not trying to be a smart ..., but "No" as a response is not very informative.

I think me meant no, OG isn't the DETERMINING factor. I'd say some beers are classified more strongly on some factors and less so on others.

The OG of the wort is not even known once the brew is ready. There are way too many other factors that can affect the final beer’s classification. Extra hops can cover the added malt flavors or a good attenuating yeast can negate it. It is all about balance.

So, no, the OG is not the determining factor in classification. Having an OG a little high is fine as long as the final brew TASTES like it should.

Check this link out to help you determine what you are brewing.
BJCP Style Guidelines.

To the OP: Honey beer would only really fit into the "Specialty Beer" category so I wouldn't worry about it. But if you must categorize, that's where it fits. Same as "other." If you want to become familiar with style guidelines and recipes that fit I would recommend purchasing a copy of Brewing Classic Styles.

Back