American Pale Ale BBD Brewing Kabe's Secret APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PM. I don't have facilities to do a full boil. I used the exact same recipe.

Wouldn't be too hard to convert the extract to some more 2-row to make it an AG recipe though. No need to adjust the hops since the wort gravity would be about the same.

The honey malt really does nice things in this beer. Goes well with the two hops, I think.

If you can get the pacman yeast, definitely use that. I used it again with this batch and it's chuggin' away. I used starsan in my airlock and the last two days when I checked on it there was a nice tower of foam standing up above the airlock.

I would like to make this beer, or something similar. The only problem is that I am somewhat of a beginner and would like to do an extract recipe (with steeping grains). Do any of you have a recommendation for an extract recipe that will get me close to this? I tried Mighty Arrow recently and fell in love. Thanks

Not sure if you could cut this down that far without changing the end product, unless you can find some Vienna malt extract.

If you can steep grains, you can do a partial mash, trust me! Give it a shot and you'll see! The only difference is that you measure your water better and mind the temperature closer. If you wanted to make this one a bit easier, you could convert the pale malt to more LME and that would cut the grain bill down to 4 lbs, making it a little easier to manage thought you'd be stretching the Vienna's enzymatic power a tad bit. If you add the extra LME at the start of the boil, and save the rest for the end as the recipe calls for, it'll help keep your hop utilization the same.

Thanks. I will probably give it a shot when I get all my gear in order.

Just finally got to bottle this tonight. I have a little under 2 weeks before I'll be dropping it off for NHC. Hope it carbs in time. I'm ramping the heat up a touch where I'm storing it to try to hurry it along.

I made a half-size batch of this (2.5 gallons). I didn't have any Amarillo hops, so used all Cascades. Also, for my water I used 50% tap 50% RO + 3/4 tsp CaCl2, since my tap water is quite hard with high level of sulfates and most beers end up tasting harshly bitter if I don't use any treatments. With these changes do you think it will be close?

Don't know about the water part, but the cascades will give it a little bit of a different aroma and flavor, but it should still be quite tasty! The amarillo hops really come through in this one, but it'd be good with all cascades too. Just slightly different.

Ok - cracked a few of these tonight while bottling Ed's Apfelwein. Nice beer. I can see why you were awarded with this one. Lots of flavor and decent ABV makes this a great sessioner over here. Thanks for the recipe! I recommend it. I'll only do PMashes from here out so this is a nice recipe to branch out on since I'm only brewing APA's of IPA's these days. Stoked to have a few 12'ers of this for the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!

Glad you liked it. I'm a little worried about my most recent batch. Tastes a little funny. Not quite sure yet if it's just green or has an off flavor, but I send it to NHC anyway.

Just tried another one. The odd flavor is gone. I was hoping it was just green. :D Hopefully the bottle I submitted for NHC cleans up just as well. This one had a week out of the fridge that one didn't have.

I brewed this a few months ago. I cracked the keg open May 1st, and it was cashed by last night. That was the fastest I've gone through 5 gallons. Therefore, excellent job on the recipe. Thanks for posting it, bro. Cheers! :mug:

I just cracked my first bottle of this open last week and tried it, it was great! Only my second brew ever, I think I'm going to buy another fermenting bucket and go ahead and make another batch this week. Thanks for the recipe!

Just tried this again last night and ended up drinking a 6pack. This is only my second brew and I may be biased since I brewed it, but damn it's some tasty stuff. I fermented at 74deg (the temp of my basement) with Notty and there are no off flavors that I can taste after just 2 weeks in the bottle. I would recommend this to any newb looking to do their first partial mash.

I brewed it again, except all-grain this time. I cracked the keg open last night, and it's a homerun. Several people have told me this is their favorite beer that I've made so far. Friday night will be a good night because of Kabe's Secret! BTW, we're definitely a couple of SW nerds for knowing who Kabe is...

I just did this one last night. 2nd partial mash i have done and used a new 3 gallon cooler. Considering using new equipment everything went smooth. I used White Labs CA ale yeast WLP001 though. I will get back to you on how it is. Thanks for posting.

I just did this one last night. 2nd partial mash i have done and used a new 3 gallon cooler. Considering using new equipment everything went smooth. I used White Labs CA ale yeast WLP001 though. I will get back to you on how it is. Thanks for posting.

WOW just tasted this one just now. It's amazingly good.

Two ?'s on this.

How many smack-packs did you use and did you use a starter?

and

When do you add the extract? Beginning or end of boil?

It says to add the extract the last 10 minutes of the boil. I highly recommend brewing this one. I got nice and buzzed off this one last night because I couldn't put it down. For what it's worth I did not use a starter on this one.

I'm a bad boy. I've never made a starter. Ever. I do believe in the benefits of them though and think it's a good idea.

I have 3 stouts fermenting right now, I think its time to brew this one again. This was the fastest keg I have ever gone through.

I'm thinking of making this recipe but am a bit concerned about dead space in my 9 gallon mash tun. Would it affect the brew much to mash at a 1.5 or 2 water-to-grist ratio instead of 1.25, so I can get a little more volume in the mash tun?

I do all my beers in a tun made from a 10 gallon coleman cooler, even the ones that only use a couple lbs of grains. I've never had an issue with the deadspace. If you're using a rectangular cooler, it might be different though.

I like to shoot for 1.25, but since I SUCK at hitting my mash temp, I'm sure I usually end up closer to 2 when all is said and done from adding hot or cold water to adjust.

Anyone have a picture!? It sounds really good but I'm torn on what I want to try for my next APA. I bought some Amarillo hops and you said this showcases their flavor well but I've also been looking at Dude's Lakewalk Pale Ale which uses Amarillo and Simcoe hops.

Ya know, I'm surprised I don't have a pic of this beer!

I threw a couple in the fridge so I'll get one ASAP.

Ok. Quick crappy cellphone pic done.

Kabes-Secret-APA.jpg

Oooo it looks so delicious! I got denied by SWMBO to brew this weekend but she did agree that I need to start kegging due to the closet full of beer bottles so it seems to be a win overall!! This might just have to be my first kegged beer!

Question, any suggestion for another yeast strain? With everyone ranting about how good it was I hate to use something else, but since the pacman isn't available, suggestions for something similar?

No pacman at your LHBS? You could order it online. My LHBS is also a major online HBS and they always have plenty: http://store.homebrewheaven.com/rogue-pacman-ale-yeast-1764-pc-from-wyeast-p1534.aspx.

If you don't want to order online, I'd probably do an clean fermenting American ale yeast. If I couldn't get pacman, I'd probably go with Safale US-05. Cheap and easy.

But if you do want to order it online, it's GREAT for lots of other beers. I use it for an Arrogant Bastard clone, among other things and you can wash the yeast and use it over and over again so you get a good return on the investment. :mug:

Ordered the yeast and hops from the link you suggested. Unfortunately the larger or the two local shops, well, I'll stay polite and just say I choose not to give them my money. Luckily a second opened recently, but they are small but keep slowly expanding there selections as more people are supporting them. So that leaves me to often fill in the blanks via the Internet. I'm actually going to brew your saison recipe hopefully this week, and then when it's done fermenting at higher temps will do this recipe. Really excited to try both.

I brewed a different version of this, i used munich instead of vienna, and golden naked oats instead of flaked barley. I also used san fran lager yeast. i dryhopped tonight, the gravity sample didnt taste that good, but it finished high, 1018. I'll have to try the actual recipe

good news is a warmed it up to 74F and its bubbling again...the bad news is now the dryhops might not be as effective

Back