Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Zima "Malt Beverage" count in this discussion? Hate to admit it, but the first time I got tore'd up on booze was on Zima. I was 15 years old, about 90lbs with wet cloths on, no alcohol tolerance and I chugged 5 of them in about 45-50 minutes because they went down so damn smooth. Puked everywhere, i mean EVERYWHERE. Kitchen sink, corner of room, front lawn, etc....

this, or colt45. both because I used to be very poor. Very hard to drink.
:)

bigbearbottles.jpg

I thought I'd be the first to mention Hurricane High Gravity in this thread, but I guess I'm not the only one to suffer that misfortune. Not much of a story - I found one in the fridge and drank (a quarter of) it out of morbid curiosity.

Sam Adams Triple Bock deserves mention here. It was a grand venture by SA, but a dismal failure.

Probably Carlsberg Sort Guld or Carlsberg Elephant. Bjørnebryg 7.5 is pretty awful as well, but I managed to down about half a case of them and then pwn the crap out of some commie.

I have to vote for the golden anniversary. Even in my poor drunken college days I wasn't able to choke down more than two of these. I gave the rest of the 12 pack away. I bought it because it was cheaper than the high quality Beast that I normally killed the liver on. It was 9.99 for a case of the beast or 2.99 for a 12 pack of GA. I should have known.

Storm

Skunked Bud Light. There was a keg with a hand pump that my friend had at her party, it didn't get finished, and she had another party a few days later. Talk about the worst beer ever. I had to chase that awful beer with straight whiskey. Seriously.

Falstaff. I don't think they make it anymore. I borrowed it from a garage as a young man.

Chelada! Like tomato soup vomit after drinking a few bud lights!

Check it: Budweiser Chelada - Anheuser-Busch, Inc. - BeerAdvocate

OMG, I forgot about this! For those who don't know, many Mexicans enjoy drinking clamato juice (kinda like V8 with clam juice in it) with beer or tequila. I've never seen anyone mix it, but rather its drunk as a chaser or side. Some friends introduced me to this and its enjoyable.

Someone at AB thought it would be great to market a mixed beer/clamato juice beverage in a can to urban hispanics. The first time I saw this was at Soldier Field in Chicago, at a US vs. Brazil soccer match. Of course, it was soo tacky that I had to try it - and it was as awful as you might imagine.

Thanks for reminding me, John! :drunk:

it was some really cheap mexican beer corona knockoff that had been sitting in the sun for a long time apparently and I was dared to drink it... I got about 1/2 way and started to feel like I was going to puke... I truly got to know the FULL meaning of the work Skunked

For me it was about 6 cans of this:

knickerbockerbeer.jpg

When I was a kid I used to hang out quite often (my little brother included) in a small forrest behind my parents house. We weren't the only neighborhood kids to use this particular forrest as a getaway.

Anyway, one afternoon when I was about 12 (little bro 10) we headed out on one of our typical adventures into the forrest and chanced across a campsite that was used the night before by some older neighborhood kids (the Wagner twins and their minions) where they happened to leave the cooler of beer they had been working their way through the previous evening. Being the typically inquisitive younglings we were we opened up the cooler and to our supprise there were six Knickerbockers left. The ice in the cooler (if there ever was any, since there was no water in it either) had long since melted and the afternoon heat was steadily taking its toll. Neither of us wanting to see the opportunity go to waste, we proceeded to plop down and indulge in our incredible windfall. The beer must have been at least 80 degrees F and we sucked back all six. I can still remember the faces my little bro was pulling as we downed them. I am sure I was pulling idendical comedic faces as I choked down each swollow. They were aweful!

Bud Dry......

My and a buddy were heading down to the New Jersey shore; this is somewhere around 2001/2002. It was pretty late on a Friday night and when we pulled into the beer distributor, they were about to close. We convinced them we knew what we wanted and would only be 5 mins. We ran to look for what ever it was that we wanted (this was before my homebrew days so who knows what I "thought" was good beer) Anyway, we can't find enough cold beer. The fridges are almost empty as it is a Friday night. We thought we would need one more case of beer but wanted it cold. The only option was Bud Dry........there was a reason it was the only beer left in the fridge. I had a hard time choking it down even after a few other beers. We ended up giving it away to some recent high school graduates who partying for senior week.

Now, I prefer dry(er) beers but for the longest time I shied away from any beer labeled or described as dry because of the memory of Bud Dry

For me it was Pete's Strawberry blonde. My friends decided to get some cigars and try a new beer while sneaking out to the track to have them since we couldn't really do it in the on campus apartments.

Anyways, I don't recall finishing the beer, it was horrible.

For me it was Pete's Strawberry blonde. My friends decided to get some cigars and try a new beer while sneaking out to the track to have them since we couldn't really do it in the on campus apartments.

Anyways, I don't recall finishing the beer, it was horrible.

Pete's Winter Brew. I like most Pete's products, and I like winter warmers a lot, so I was excited about this one. I had just tried Red Hook's Winterhook, and loved it. Nowhere on the Pete's package did they bother to mention the fact that there were raspberries in the beer. Nutmeg too, I think. Not cool.

Earthquake Lager!! 12% in a 24oz can. Why did I do it, $1.50, that's why.
I followed it with a sixer of Sweetwater 420 Ipa. That made for one poopy headache the next morning.

The earthquake is on the right. Avoid this beer at all costs.

LokoWatermellonEarthquake.gif

Earthquake Lager!! 12% in a 24oz can. Why did I do it, $1.50, that's why.
I followed it with a sixer of Sweetwater 420 Ipa. That made for one poopy headache the next morning.

The earthquake is on the right. Avoid this beer at all costs.

LokoWatermellonEarthquake.gif

The other groomsmen of my brother's wedding dared me to chug something very similar to that the morning of his wedding. It was only 10%, IIRC. I didn't notice the abv until after the chug though. Oops.

images

Awful, vile stuff that is. Tastes like regurgitated seafood bisque, straight up. Split a four-pack with a buddy one night, and poured 90% down the drain.

Well, this was not beer, it was wine. I went to college in Louisiana for a couple of semesters. We would buy Thunderbird, drink a little out of the neck and then add a package of red Kool-aid. I mean the old school stuff that was straight powder. I can still taste it.

warm Mickeys at a frat party after getting blue balled by a hottie. Lots of rubbing and sharing, but not worth the ******, hold your tongue, I want to put my fist through your head, wow that's what you guys think is cool?- really, that's what chicks tolerate to say they banged this dude from alpha mega sig trash frat? I think I'll go to the bar

I ended up disposing of said "beer" on the kitchen floor on my way out...

When I turned 21 I was really inexperienced and had no idea what was good and what wasn't. I bought this vanilla beer thinking itd be nice tasty drink. Turned out it was extremely bitter and not in a nice way. Nothing I ate or drank with it would make it even drinkable. I drank 3 and threw the other 3 out. Just couldn't put myself through it any longer

First time I got drunk - warm, and probably skunked, Amstel Light... so rough. Definitely not the beer drinkers light beer.

In college I drank Natty Light religiously (and still do on occassion as it holds a soft spot in my hear). I know everyone knocks the lighter beers, and I def enjoy more flavorful beers, but I will never forget the party I went to and drank a cup and was like "what is this crap?" It was Millwaukees best light... horrible, horrible, horrible beer. Also throw a nod to Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - that tasted like cough medicine.

Back in my college years, me and my mates would always try to find terrible, <i>terrible</i> beverages, mainly for the novelty (but also because they tended to cost next to nothing). A lot went through that house: Milwaukee's Best (The BEAST!), Blue Diamond (It's everybody's best friend! It says so right on the can!), Black Labels, grenades full of Mickey's, and Steel City Lager just to name a few, but by far the worst calamity that some sadist thought to put in a can that ever passed my lips was Evil Eye Malt Liquor (Ojo malo!). I picked one up because of it's cheerful green can with the evil looking eyes. I realize now that the designer must have been trying to put the Mr. Yuck poison control logo on there, but had been killed by the malt liquor fumes half-way through...
When I cracked it back at the house, the first swig tasted like some sort industrial cleaning agent mixed with Chloroseptic spray. The second one went downhill from there. It quickly devolved into one of those, "This is terrible! You have to try it!" situations wherein everyone who came in HAD to take a swig. Even with more than a dozen seasoned terrible-beer-drinkers in the room we didn't even get half-way through the can. I finally poured it out for the homies that are no longer with us who I didn't like very much...

More recently, a buddy of mine tried to a make a hops-free beer (Gruit) for another friends wedding as the bride-to-be is allergic to hops. It was done in time for the wedding, but it never saw the light of day. He and I sampled it, and it went something like this:
*sip* "Ok, it tastes a little weird but not unpleasa..." *pause* "Oh god, that taste keeps going..." *pause* "What did I do to deserve this?!?" *pause* "I NEED TO CLEAN MY TONGUE WITH FIRE!!!"
So, not wanting to make any enemies, it was decided that the beer would be eliminated.

I like beer.

I like fancy beer that costs me $10 for a bomber. I like Chimay. I appreciate a good barleywine. I just got home from the store with some DFH 90 minute IPA and a sixer of Anchor Steam. And I like all my homebrew, so far.

I also like adjunct beer - Natty Ice, Keystone, Genessee, and the Narragansett I'm drinking out of the bottle right now. We used to party with 40's of Schlitz, because one of our buddies had a brother that worked at a package store (underage - just returns and cleaning, of course) and the owner would look the other way if he happened to bring home a case or two every so often. Know what? I liked it. I'd probably still like it today, for what it is.

...But this stuff - damn. All I could do to finish the sixer. It's like a questionable-quality pale ale, with a half-bottle of uber-sweet blueberry extract shat into each bottle by the brown-eye of Beelzebub himself.

I like their other beers - I've had a few of them. But this one? Just wow.

image00226.jpg

Probably Carlsberg Sort Guld or Carlsberg Elephant. Bjørnebryg 7.5 is pretty awful as well, but I managed to down about half a case of them and then pwn the crap out of some commie.

I remember the first time I had Carlsberg Elephant, my roommate and I picked up a case and we had the bright idea to have a beer before going to the library to study for the night.

Needless to say one thing led to another and we didn't make it to the library that night or class the next day.. or two.

As for the consensus worst beer Steel Reserve, after a bad day it's the perfect beer to have if you don't have anyplace to go.

There's a couple that come to mind. Let's see if I can remember the story behind them.

I guess the first one would be Mickeys. Back in my starting daysof drinking they were about $1 for a 40oz. Usually just one of those would last me all night, but a couple of friends of mine went to spring break one year in South Padre and both brought back beer bongs equiped for 2 people to bong it up at once. So we bought 3 40oz'ers and somehow managed to equip one of the bongs into a 3 hose system. So we uncapped one of the 40's and poured the whole freakin thing into the funnel. Needless to say we finished it fast but never did that again. We were bloated for the rest of the night.

Another one involves keystone ice. This was for my cousins high school graduation. I was the only one of age to buy beer and his friends gave very little cash for beer. I ended up buying a 30 pack of bud light and 3 30 packs of keystone ice. Of course the bud light went very fast and we were all forced to drink keystone. People told me I almost got into a fight with my cousin and was pretty annoying.woke up the next day in his couch with probably one of the worst headaches in my life. Oh, and did I mention his mom and dad showed up the next day early in the morning. His place smelled like beer, cigs, and who knows what else.

Last one would be busch. Me and my buddies would buy this stuff by the quarts and also beer bonged it a quart at a time per person. Long story short, we had a great time walked back to my buddies house and passed out. Only thing I didn't know was one of them needed a ride to work the next morning. I woke up, instantly felt sick and threw up nothing but bile! I haven't touched a busch beer since then

Oh boy. I've had some bad beer in my day...it wasn't even til recently-ish that I knew what good beer was! (And by good beer, I mean Amber Bock and Killian's) ;)

Steel Reserve and Mickey's come to mind for sure. Any ice beer is rotten. Red Dog? I remember people in high school that thought Red Dog was soooo cool because of the dog on the can. They still sell it around here, but I don't think anyone is buying! They also started selling 30 packs of this beer called "Beer". Or "Beer Light". I can only imagine how bad that crap tastes--it's cheaper than Busch!

And I'm not sure if this will get me banned, flamed, or whatever...but my hubby and I still like Miller High Life. Bottled only, though. ;)

honey almond light from a company called point. it sounded like a good combo of accent flavors for a light lager-wrong. it's like someone took a warm bud and melted a butterscotch disc from your grandma's purse into it. undrinkable.

Minhas Creek. Beer for the people with out the cash for Lab Lite. Got a buzz on with the Lab Lite, Bud, Coors (I know, but at the time that is what we had). Ran out of the "good stuff" but didn't want to call it a night. Break out the Creek to keep the buzz on. Tastes a little off, but keep the buzz on. Getting a little head ache, must need more Creek. Sleepy now. Morning. RUN TO THE TOILET!!! Massive hershey squirts!!! All done, OOPS NOT YET!!! And again, and again. Didn't get more than 10 feet from the toilet for a couple of hours.

Yankee Jim Ice and Genuine Draft.

A few years ago, I stumbled across a website someone had set up for his friends. It was a challenge to drink 365 different beer in a year, you could sign up and it tracked for you. It ended up linked to Fark.com, got 1000s of new registrants, and he closed it down.

I however, was determined to drink 365 different beer that year. Please keep in mind that I live in Ontario Canada. We have the LCBO,which is as close to Victorian era control of alcohol as I have seen in the western world. This made it hard for me to get, as I couldn't just buy singles of things at say, Premier Gourmet. So, one evening I bought a six of both Yankee Jim Ice, and Genuine Draft. Managed to finish a can of each, poured the other 10 beer down the drain.

I called the brewery the next day to let them know how much I enjoyed their beer, and they kind of laughed, and said we know, it is contract brewed.

To top it off, I came up about 20 beer short for the year.

When I was in the army we had a weekly tradition of buying 40 oz. of Schlitz Malt liquer for $1.10 (for each of us) before going out and getting tanked. For the life of me I can't figure out how my entire fire team came up with the idea of choking down 40 oz. of pure a$$

Worst beer ever?

Arrogant Bastard. It felt like my tongue was sexually violated by pine cones.

I somewhat agree, only because back before my homebrewing days, my roommate and I got a 15.5 keg of it. After a week and a half of blackouts and waking up groggily to a trashed house with several unrecognizable people sleeping on the floor, we couldn't bare to take another sip. We dumped at least a gallon down the drain.

Still can't drink the bastard...

Miller Chill and Keystone Light.

God, both of those beers are terrible, even when I was broke in college all I ever drank was Natty Light and being in South Georgia, everybody drank AB, no Coors or Miller. Once my girlfriend (now wife) who was at Auburn, me and a couple of my buddys drive to go visit/party for a footballl game, she does the nice thing and buys us 2 30packs, we had 1 each and went to the store to buy natty.

As for Miller Chill, me and the wife go to Lambeau Field for a Packer game in 07, the last game of the year so it was cold, not terrible, but a cool 16* w/ wind, so be buy some beer, so I finish my 12pk and start walking to the game. We see a huge Miller Chill semi trailer, with two tables in front of it with probably 2000 bottles of the stuff and there was nobody there besides the two beer girls serving, when I stay nobody I mean it not a soul. I walked up and asked what the deal was, they said "We're giving tastings, there free", so I was baffle and asked why nobody was taking advantage of this and why there wasnt a line or anything, which both said they didnt have a clue. So I grabbed as many as I could carry (now, Ive never heard of the stuff before). Me and the wife both have a sip and give each other the look of, did someone just take a dump in our mouths look (you guys know the one), so we go to the dumpster right next to the trailer and try to toss the 12 beers we grab in. No lie the damn thing was full of those Miller Chill bottles and it look like everyone was full. I had a good laugh about that.

sparks plus

wanted to try it but it tasted horrible. Turns out it doesnt even have caffiene anymore

Some craft brewery I can't remember off the top of my head, brewed this porter made with oyster "juice".
Was out at a beer tasting at one of my favorite local package stores. Aieeee!! Had to taste a bunch of other stuff (and some wine) to wash away the taste. Thank the gods I didn't actually pay for the stuff.

Aside from that, the Natty Ice I (drunkenly) tasted at a party, has to be up there on the foul scale.

Back