NYC Necessary hits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to NYC this weekend. Will probably be able to get at least one bew pub in with the wife. What's my number 1,2,and 3 must hits??

I have been away for a few years , but there are quite a few.......
1. McSorley's Old Ale House- 15 East17th street, between 2nd-3rd(212-473-9148)
Open for some 140 years , it is claimed to be the oldest pub in NYC. They serve
two types of beer, dark and light. There are wood burning stoves in bar and
saw dust on floor. Has not changed anything in last 50-100 years.

2. Hells Kitchen.... That's right! The once famed bad area has undergone a makeover. I know a one or two new Irish pubs that have been opened up there in the last few years. Social is one of the names I can remember off the top of my head.

3. The Playright..( I and II). I have been in the one in times square a few times. It has many different levels, good food too( I think, usually drunk)

4. Jeckles and Hydes. Everybody seems to love this place! Never been in, kinds of like a Halloween haunted house. The bathrooms are hidden somewhere inside( sounds like a sick joke to me!!) Near Rockefeller Center.

5. The Blarney Stone....Well for that matter any of the other thousand or so Irish pubs in NYC. At this point they are all the same.

That is all I can remember off the top of my head. I think about it some more.

I'm really looking for some actualy Brew Pubs where they make their own brews and sell some good swag for me to take home and add to my collection.

Just beyond the Times Square-ish heartland brewery site is a great belgian pub. not as great a belgian selection as one would like, but really tasty food and some great belgian beers on tap and in the bottle.

Well, I'm back we hit up Chelsea Brewing Company, and McSorley's. McSorley's was pretty awsome. Walk in to a HUGE Stale beer smell. Ordered a dark and a lite and get 4 beers. They serve two at a time. It was soo cool to see everything old. I'll post some pics soon.

Back