If you dig Yma Sumac, you would like ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billtzk

Reaction score
who?

Yma Sumac. I honestly don't believe in all of recorded musical history there has ever been any female vocalist more interesting, more amazing, more talented, with a greater vocal range, and more exciting and thrilling to listen to than Yma Sumac. Sadly, the poor dear is dead. She died at the age of 84 in 2008. She was a Peruvian princess. I don't know if she worshiped the Peruvian Sun god(s) or any other gods, but she was a Virgo. It's not surprising that so many love her, is it?

Don't just tell me who your favorite female vocalist is. If you don't know who Yma Sumac is, please don't reply, and thank you. If you think you know Yma but you haven't listened to her Xtabay or Mambo albums, then you aren't qualified to answer; so don't bother.

If you are familiar with Yma and you are fond of more of her work than just Gopher Mambo (which admittedly makes my dik get hard), then please tell me who are the other female vocalists are who turn you on. I'll listen to them. I don't believe there is a female vocalist who can eclipse Yma. But I'm willing to consider suggestions.

At the risk of being accused of a drunken rambling or a mindless mumbling, let me also say, god dammit to hell and back.

I've got Yma on vinyl. Great stuff. As for recommendations, there really isn't much noteworthy stuff out there that is similar.

If you're looking for the vocal dynamics, check out opera.

(click on Maria Callas when you're done with this one)

If you like that crazy latin beat in "Gopher Mambo" check out Prez Prado.

If you're looking for a great female vocalist, check out Dinah Washington. Especially the stuff she did on Emarcy.

If anyone suggests Diana Krall, I recommend that you put them on your blocked list.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might also like Combustible Edison, specifically these tunes:

• Vertigogo
  • Millionaire's Holiday
  • Bewitched (yes, the theme from the show)

They did all the music to the movie Four Rooms, which is an excellent eclectic lounge mix.

By far my favorite female vocalist is Stacey Kent. I love EVERYTHING she sings because I love her voice. Maybe Manhattan is my favorite song by her. Not likely to appeal to most others... very, very easy listening / traditional.

Ingrid Michaelson is also excellent. And Madeleine Peyroux. And Brandi Carlile (The Story, Love Songs, etc).

Here's Brandi:

Great, now you got me started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back