Doctor... I've got an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grue

Reaction score
Hey guys... long time lurker, first post. Still a beginner, using kit tins, but with malt instead of dextrose, and dry hopping. Spent many a night shift reading through these boards and learnt a lot. Pretty sure i've got my first infection, so thought it'd be a good excuse to finally register and start posting :)

IPA-Hopped LME
Amber LME
Kit Yeast

3weeks into primary... was about to transfer to secondary and dry hop. And i see this:

P1010003.jpg

Smell isn't bad, but not as beery as i was expecting.
Taste is really bitter - citrus-rind-acid kinda bitter. Not pleasant.
One thing that I've changed from my other batches is this is a new fermenter with more headspace.

Cheers for any input guys.

G

Looks like a pellicle is forming to me, could be lacto? I'm certainly not the authority on these kinds of things around here though.

hmmmmmm........the only thing that makes me think it might be infected is the citrus rind taste. I've only ever tasted one infected batch and that is what it tasted like.

edit: I wouldn't think that the additional head space would be a concern for primary unless its just a silly amount of headspace.

Screw it... I've dry hopped. Fingers crossed. It's got it's name already if it turns out ok: Infectious Pale Ale!

Definitely infected. Either Lacto and/or Brett. Not sure what to tell you, other than to double check your sanitizing process. Sometimes though something gets in despite what seems to be good process. If it's in a plastic bucket, you should probably get a new one. Along with any other plastic that came in contact with the beer. Otherwise you risk infecting future batches.

You never know how this will turn out, though unintentionally infected beers tend not to be that good.

Agree with JLem. I don't have the experience he does, but I've read enough "is this an infection" threads - that while filmy look seems like it's always diagnosed as lacto or brett. Good luck, but I'm thinking this will not end well.

As cheap as plastic is, and with the fact that infections are notorious for coming back in plastic containers, I'd just toss it directly. Why risk another batch?

Yup - cheers for the diagnosis chaps. Pain in the arse as it's a brand new fermenter, but if that's the way it is...

A good wake up call to step up my cleaning methods.

Thanks

Yep depending on how much you are spending for each batch, one ruined brew could have paid for a decent glass carboy. It's a worthwhile investment I think, non-porous and non-reactive.

This kind of scares me from using the plastic bucket I just bought from craigslist. I got a plastic primary, 5 gallon glass carboy, and a ton of extra stuff (hydro+thermometer, autosiphon), for $60.

Dont toss the fermenter, keep it to make sours in (if you have any desire for doing that). Be cautious of transfering pre-boil wort with anything that will touch post boil wort, I think this is where I acquired a lacto infection some time ago. racking tubing and other plastic bits are cheap to replace.

Back