Did i mess something up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanthefreak

Reaction score
Im new to winemaking. I made a batch of strawberry wine, i put the cambden tablets and stuff in it, added yeast, let it sit in first fermenter stage for 6 days, added it to the first carboy for fermenting. It bubbled for like 5 days, this is day 6 and its not even bubbling the airlock anymore, i tasted it, it tastes dry and lost most of the strawberry flavor, do i let it go for 30 days, rack, then go again 30 days, why did it stop fermenting

what is your sg reading...if you dont have a hydrometer you should get one

If it tastes dry then the most vigorous part of the fermentation is done. It may only bubble once every couple of minutes, maybe you just haven't seen it. It was a very fast fermentation but should be ok.

Keep going as you said. You're doing fine.

Dicky

Ok im going out tonight to buy some 1 gallon fermenting bottles, a hydrometer, and stuff to make ed worts appflewein or however its spelled, how to u use a hydrometer and when do you take a reading, i have had 1 gallon of blueberry and 1 gallon of banana wine in the primary for 7 days and about to put it in a carboy, is it too late to take a starting hg, how do you figure out what the alcohol content will be, so much stuff to learn, darn it, thought this would be easier

You can visit YouTube for instructions on hydrometer use. I recommend you visit Jack Keller's website and read up. He has great basic info on winemaking.
Please do some reading on the basics of winemaking. You can visit ECKraus website and they have a lot of instructional info, as does winemakingtalk.com. You will be glad you did some prepatory reading.

Ok i got a hydrometer and checked the reading today. It was under 1 so i figured its about done, very little bubbles and no movement on the airlock, so i racked it out, im gonna let it age and clear for a while now, but it tastes dry but has some strawberry flavor, so im pretty happy with it, i dont think its a high abv though because i dont think i added enough sugar but it will do.

Back