What would you call this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLogic

Reaction score
I wanted to make a dry, drinkable, moderately high abv, blood red beer for Halloween, and this is what I came up with. It does not taste remotely like any other beer I have ever had, but is absolutely spectacular. The high IBUs suggest Belgian red IPA, but it's so smooth that it's entirely un-IPA-like. (It tastes more like 45-50 IBUs than its actual ~80.) In any case, I highly recommend this recipe if you want something truly unusual and delicious.

Weird Blood Red Belgian Halloween Beer

7lbs. Belgian Pilsner
6lbs. 10L Munich
1lb. 80L Belgian Caramunich

Mash @ 148 for 1 hour.

1oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 60 mins.
1oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 15 mins.
2oz. Nelson Sauvin @ 5 mins.

I pitched this onto a Wyeast 3787 yeast cake from a Belgian blond I brewed the week before. This was a pretty monstrous over-pitch, which resulted in some great phenolics.

OG: 1.068 (I have low-ish efficiency due to brewing with really hard tap water.)
FG: 1.014
ABV: 7.1%
IBUs: ~80

Tasting Notes:

This beer is really indescribable. As mentioned before, you wouldn't believe the high IBUs. Medium off-white head, crystal clear, and blood red in color. (I fined it with gelatin, but it was pretty clear to begin with.) The nose is intense caramel, tropical fruit, and exotic spice, which all carry through into the the flavor. You can definitely detect the famous sauvignon blanc character from the hops, as well as a bit of herbal grassiness. The overall effect is quite unique; you've got to brew it to get a good sense of it.

Should have used some Hibiscus flower to get a really red beer.

Back