Keg Pressure Gauge??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there,
I want to build a keg pressure gauge like this.....http://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-PRESSURE-TESTER-P715C237.aspx
It will let me know how the carbing is coming along when I prime my kegs. I would just buy it but they are out of stock. Has anyone ever made one? It can't be that hard. I am thinking threaded gas connection and a gauge. Is it that easy? Thanks.

the ball lock has 1/4" MFL on it. find a pressure guage with 1/4" FFL and you're golden.

have to convert from 1/4 flare to 1/4 pipe (home depot run)

mcmaster p/n 3846K165

I use my spunding valve pretty much on every brew, either for fermenting under pressure, counter-pressure transfer, or just checking on a keg. It's invaluable.

wolfman_48442 can you please explain your setup

Thanks!

The homebrew wiki has a short article that explains the basics of using a spunding valve. If you search for "spunding" you'll find some good threads about it too. It's pretty simple. Looking at wolfmans pic, the gauge on the left shows the pressure inside the keg, and the black thing on the right is an adjustable pressure relief valve. Connect that to a sealed fermenter however you can, and that's really all there is to it. I'm a big fan of pressurized fermentation, and as wolfman pointed out, spunding valves are very useful for other tasks as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Spunding

Not to restart this thread but this was the 2nd result when searching for "How to build a Keg pressure gauge". I found a PDF guide which mentioned terms I did not understand, as well, netted a lack of results that allowed me to move forward with the build, specifically "MPT and MFL". To a complete noob, I had no idea what that meant and when looking for MPT and MFL fittings, I could not find any.

MPT means Male NPT and MFL is Male Flare. FFL, Female Flare. It seems you net more results when you spell everything out and not knowing what those mean (to a complete noob like me) took me an hour or so to track everything down.

I was able to find all of the parts on ebay to build a 1/4" pressure gauge with 1/4 valve similar to this, but with a 1/4" male flare on the valve to (hopefully) allow you to connect a Co2 Charger to it. (Hopefully as I have yet to build it since I just bought everything on ebay).

Here is what I found
http://www.ipass.net/mpdixon/brew/Education/Building a Keg Pressure Tester.pdf

This suggests to use a Brass 1/4 MPT tee, it was easier for me to find a 1/4" Female NPT adapter and use male connections to it. Also, I picked a Needle Valve adapter with Male Flare connection so I could use a Co2 Charger to it to charge the Keg when needed.

Female SAE 45° Flare Swivel Union Brass Water Oil Air Gas Fuel Connector Fitting
which connects to
Brass Flare Adapter, 1/4" NPT Male x 1/4" SAE Male Flare
which connects to
Brass Tee, 1/4" Female NPT , water, fuel, boat, new
which connects to
Pool Filter Pressure Gauge 1/4" Bottom Mount 0-60 PSI
on one side and
1/4" SAE Flare x Male NPT MIP Brass Water Oil Air Gas Fuel Shutoff Needle Valve
on the other side which has a male flare connection that the co2 charger can connect to.

I will followup and post pictures when I complete the build and confirm it works as intended.

Does not look that easy to set up neatly.
Using a ball lock quick connect is the optimum solution & that involves some "difficult plumbing".

Back