Girls love green beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San Jose State University

Reaction score
I had a few batches of beer that were only a two weeks old (1 primary, 1 bottle carb) when I first started brewing. I knew something was a little off and so did my beer appreciating friends.

However, girls and friends that DON"T drink beer--because they don't like the taste--loved it! They said there was no aftertaste or something like that. There was a similar response for several batches.

Anyone know if this is typical?

lmao... girls dont fart! apparantly.. (they do)

they do love confidence tho, and maybe they dnt like beer but appreciated the confidence in your brew???

San Jose State University said:
Anyone know if this is typical?

SWMBO and her friend said the hefe my buddy and I brewed tasted like hot dogs at racking..........and no, they didn't think that was good. I seriously wonder how the hell they got hot dogs out of it!?!

My non-beer drinking roomate thinks my apfelwein tastes like beer.
I was like, um nooo. No grain, no hops, it was even made in a fermenter that was brand new and had never seen beer. So some people just don't know what they're talking about.

Also on the confidence thing... I hate that. If you don't like it, ****ing tell me so I can either a) not give you anymore and/or b) see if I can fix the off-taste next time around. With no critique, nothing's going to change.

z987,

Thats so funny you say that I made 15 cases of 22oz fliptops for all my freinds for Xmas last year. I put a nice label on all the bottles gave people 4 packs so they could try all my styles. I even bought real 4 pak carriers and put a blurb about how I started and crap. I even asked for feedback and stuff.

NOT ONR PERSON said a word. They all say your beer is great but thats it. It was very frustrating because I didnt know if it was good or things that thought needed to be fixed............

This year Im making 15 cases for ME for Xmas...........I know I LOVE my beers.

:mug:

OK... Theres proof that girls do fart.
Video quality is kinda ****ty... sorry...

Last edited by a moderator:
Two Dog's Brewing said:
z987,

Thats so funny you say that I made 15 cases of 22oz fliptops for all my freinds for Xmas last year. I put a nice label on all the bottles gave people 4 packs so they could try all my styles. I even bought real 4 pak carriers and put a blurb about how I started and crap. I even asked for feedback and stuff.

NOT ONR PERSON said a word. They all say your beer is great but thats it. It was very frustrating because I didnt know if it was good or things that thought needed to be fixed............

This year Im making 15 cases for ME for Xmas...........I know I LOVE my beers.

:mug:
I know, all they say is it's good. I can't tell if they're being polite or what. I need to give some of my beer to someone who knows beer.

I prospected four or five people to give me beer to and asked them if they liked home or micro brews, all said yes. All I asked each person was to evaluate the beer on taste, looks and smell. Anyone who said that they couldn't drink it because it was cloudy or too dark, I never gave them another beer. Anyone who gave me some lame feedback or took three weeks to drink a couple beers and get back to me, never got another beer. Anyone who came back one to two days later and said either it tasted like crap or they liked it is still getting beer today.

BierMuncher said:
Girls fart.

I have four daughters and a female dog.

Trust me on this one.
Oh yes girls fart...but they are taught to hide them whilst men are taught to display them loudly and proudly!

Dan

z987k said:
I know, all they say is it's good. I can't tell if they're being polite or what. I need to give some of my beer to someone who knows beer.
I hate when people don't tell me what they think. This is an artform and I hope to improve. I tell everyone I give my beer to to be brutally honest. They may taste something I don't and if I can figure it out I can make better beer. I just have to restate that I hate politeness when it comes to my beer.

Dan

I met a guy that just started brewing and he found out I brew so he brought over some of his beer. He was really proud of this beer and he said all of his friends love it, he went on and on how he is hooked on homebrewing because this beer turned out so good.

I poured some into a glass, took one smell and could tell something was amiss. I took a sip and it was the hardest thing for me to do to tell him he screwed something up. The beer had an acidic taste to it so I had to break it to him that he had an infection. He didn't believe me until I pointed out the flavor, it wasn't horrible but it was there.

Sometimes its tough to be truthful about something somebody is so proud of...

Most people just don't think too deeply about their beers, so it's hard for them to pick out what they do or do not like about a beer except in very general terms.

Monster Mash said:
I met a guy that just started brewing and he found out I brew so he brought over some of his beer. He was really proud of this beer and he said all of his friends love it, he went on and on how he is hooked on homebrewing because this beer turned out so good.

I poured some into a glass, took one smell and could tell something was amiss. I took a sip and it was the hardest thing for me to do to tell him he screwed something up. The beer had an acidic taste to it so I had to break it to him that he had an infection. He didn't believe me until I pointed out the flavor, it wasn't horrible but it was there.

Sometimes its tough to be truthful about something somebody is so proud of...
I have a buddy who brews as well and all three of his beers have turned out badly IMO. I've had to tell him three times that I didn't like his beer. The first had a distinct lettuce hamburger taste, the second a bad astringency and the third he used 12 ounces of chocolate in a stout he made and he put next to nothin in for hops. It was so overpowered by chocolate it choked me. Of course I've pointed him to this site several times and to a couple good books but it amazes me how little effort he puts in to learn the craft.
I mean my beers are nothing special (except for the plywood IPA) but I try to learn and fix my mistakes.

Dan

Back