Last Call- Any interest in a UP brewday?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife has some form of allergies, but not bad. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats and she seems ok.

As far as the beer goes, I might put the wort in a better bottle this time and pitch the yeast when we get back. I'm sure it will be ok if I can get some ice around it. It wouldn't be the first time I've had to wait a couple of days to pitch the yeast. Not my favorite, but you know what they say: RDWHAHB!

I'm not wanting to rush anybody into committing- but I'm going to be gone quite a bit between now and July 5th, so if you think you might be coming, let's share contact info now.

I'm going to the NHC next week, and will be home two days or so before leaving for a 10 day trip to Northwestern Ontario for a fly-in fishing trip. I'll be out of contact completely from about June 24-July 5th while at a fishing camp.

I'd like to get an idea of how many may be coming (or not!) so I can make sure I have everything ready. Bob said he'd do a fish fry (using my old turkey fryer from my first brewing setup) and we'd provide brats/hot dogs for non-fish lovers.

I'm not wanting to rush anybody into committing- but I'm going to be gone quite a bit between now and July 5th, so if you think you might be coming, let's share contact info now.

I'm going to the NHC next week, and will be home two days or so before leaving for a 10 day trip to Northwestern Ontario for a fly-in fishing trip. I'll be out of contact completely from about June 24-July 5th while at a fishing camp.

I'd like to get an idea of how many may be coming (or not!) so I can make sure I have everything ready. Bob said he'd do a fish fry (using my old turkey fryer from my first brewing setup) and we'd provide brats/hot dogs for non-fish lovers.

I really want to be there. Asked the wife and she was up for it but needed to see how much vacation time she had. So as of now put me down for two. :rockin:

I really want to be there. Asked the wife and she was up for it but needed to see how much vacation time she had. So as of now put me down for two. :rockin:

WooHoo! Troy, I'll send you my phone numbers and the location, so you can see what you're in for. Also, let me know your plans- i.e. staying inside the cottage, bringing a tent, hoping to stay at my place in town, etc. If my daughter doesn't have her baby a week early, she'll be willing to be a DD I'm sure.

Put me down for two, a camp site and a spot for the trashcan kegerator (if its available) ;) .

Oh, and by the way, if it's not clear, anybody can stay as long as they want. The UP makes a nice vacation, and the cottage is located in the western/central UP and a good jumping off spot to other places, like the Keweenaw, or Northern Wisconsin. There will be no hurry to leave, but you may have to buy your own food if you stay too long!

We have some fun ideas for fishing the surrounding areas, and have some good knowledge of the Sylvania Wilderness area if anybody is so inclined.

I guess I'm out. I think I have to be in Negaunee for a family get-together at the Pioneer Days. Dang it.

If it falls through, I may show up for a few hours to put some faces to the names. But I think I'll be a little farther north.

Thanks Yooper for hostessing this event. I hope it goes well! :mug:

I guess I'm out. I think I have to be in Negaunee for a family get-together at the Pioneer Days. Dang it.

If it falls through, I may show up for a few hours to put some faces to the names. But I think I'll be a little farther north.

Thanks Yooper for hostessing this event. I hope it goes well! :mug:

I wish it wasn't the same day. Next time, we'll plan far in advance, so we won't have conflicts I hope!

I don't imagine lschiavo will have much beer left, and I may only have a keg since I'll be gone and not brewing much for the next month, but I think we'll manage! (I was just kidding, lschiavo- but if you have any extra beer........:D)

I had a name I thought was pretty good for this event. Since a few Yoopers will be around and a few Trolls, I thought we could call ourselves UP YOURS
(Upper Peninsula - Yoopers and Others, Undertaking Rural Sudsmaking).

Anyway, I have plenty of room and all are welcome.

That is too funny! I wish I could get a T-shirt done for the event.

I would bring a keg if I thought I'd have room in the car, and if I had a decent beer. All that will be ready will be a Begian Wit and maybe a Saison. Just kegged the wit last night and the Saison seems to be taking it's time in fermenting.

But bottles and coolers work pretty good too. So if you have some bottles, bring them along people!

Heh, heh. I chuckled when I saw "what's around." I grew up in C.Falls. Yup. Lots of trees!! :)

Heh, heh. I chuckled when I saw "what's around." I grew up in C.Falls. Yup. Lots of trees!! :)

Crystal Falls?? Crystal Falls???
'

ARGHGHGHGHG!!!!!!

When I was in school we met them in the Class D football Conference championships in Charleviox (met halfway). They cleaned our clock like 42-0.

The fans that came up to cheer on the Eagles could not believe the size of the kids getting our of the bus!

I just looked it up. 1984. State Semifinals. Crystal Falls 46. Marion Eagles 0.

Some things you never forget.

I did meet my wife at the Silverdome a few years later when Marion won the state championship.

OK, send me the pertinent info; can't promise we'll make it, but I'm thinking of trying. I'd leave on Friday, be there for Saturday, and just work the following Friday nite in place of Sunday nite as normally scheduled.

I'd want to just tent camp.

Yes, xiang, Shorts sounds cool but it adds a fair amount for me to get over to the west and back to the centerline of I-75. :(

Brewing wouldn't be an issue, but I can just see actual ferm temps in the truck in July. :(

But drinking sounds just awesome.

Crystal Falls?? Crystal Falls???
'

ARGHGHGHGHG!!!!!!

When I was in school we met them in the Class D football Conference championships in Charleviox (met halfway). They cleaned our clock like 42-0.

The fans that came up to cheer on the Eagles could not believe the size of the kids getting our of the bus!

I just looked it up. 1984. State Semifinals. Crystal Falls 46. Marion Eagles 0.

Some things you never forget.

I did meet my wife at the Silverdome a few years later when Marion won the state championship.

Forest Park Trojans! Ya!!!

Ahh, going to the Silverdome! Good times! Went there as part of the marching band in maybe 1979 or so when our football team went to the state playoffs.

Yup, football in the Dick Mettlach era was pretty good. The current coach, Bill Santilli, was one of Coach Mettlach's stand-out players of that era. (then again there were quite a few great players in the time around 1979) Bill was also a mighty fine baritone player in high school. Was part of an awesome brass ensemble that always did well at the band Solo/Ensemble Competitions.

Good times. :fro:

I'm not going to be able to go now. I can't get the time off work (if I do I may not have a job when I get back). So I need to pass. :(

Your boss needs to get his nuts slapped.

Aw, man! I was really looking forward to drinking your beer! ;)

I really feel bad for you. I have a sometimes boring job, but the people here are good and my boss is great. Maybe your boss will get into an accident and die or something.

(I'm just kidding.)

Our plans, as they stand now, are to drive up to the UP Friday night, and head to Yoopers house Sat morning. Hang out (MAYBE brew an extract batch), and eat and chat, then head up to Houghton Sat evening so are up there for getting my daughter to MTU on time. But we'll just see how we do. My wife doesn't really drink, especially beer, so if it's not too dark, she can drive, even if I can't.

So do we have a list of who is coming? And what kind of food are all bringing?? Someone has got to pick up the slack since Troy is not going to make it.

(Shhhh.... Bacon goes good with beer!)

So far, my list is:

Xiang and SWMBO
Homercidal and SWMBO
Henry Hill and SWMBO
lschiavo and friend
BraveSirRobin and SWMBO or friend
Bob and myself

I think that's it. More are always welcome, of course.

Bob is doing a fish fry, and I'll provide cornbread and baked beans. There is usually some pickled fish and goat cheese around, also.

I can bring out my old set up, and I'll ask lschiavo to bring water (his is pretty good). BraveSirRobin said he can't make it until around 4 PM, so that kind of late to start brewing so someone else might have to do it! Maybe I can convince lschiavo to brew a 10 gallon batch? :D

By the way, Homer, I don't want to deter your wife from driving Sat night. But I have to tell you that it's DARK here after 8:30 PM central. I mean DARK. No streetlights and it's two lanes from here to Houghton. Lots of deer, too. If she's not terribly comfortable driving on rural roads in the evening, that could be an issue.

Oh, if you want to do some fishing, it seems like the fishing is better morning and evening, but the bass will bite in the afternoon as well. We have all the rods and stuff you'd need and will provide either a kayak or a little fishing boat with a trolling motor.

Aw, man! I was really looking forward to drinking your beer! ;)

I really feel bad for you. I have a sometimes boring job, but the people here are good and my boss is great. Maybe your boss will get into an accident and die or something.

(I'm just kidding.)

Our plans, as they stand now, are to drive up to the UP Friday night, and head to Yoopers house Sat morning. Hang out (MAYBE brew an extract batch), and eat and chat, then head up to Houghton Sat evening so are up there for getting my daughter to MTU on time. But we'll just see how we do. My wife doesn't really drink, especially beer, so if it's not too dark, she can drive, even if I can't.

Actually he was in one this past winter up near you. Someone lost control on 131 in front of him and he hit them. The bad thing is that he lived and the other guy died.

So far, my list is:

Xiang and SWMBO
Homercidal and SWMBO
Henry Hill and SWMBO
lschiavo and friend
BraveSirRobin and SWMBO or friend
Bob and myself

I think that's it. More are always welcome, of course.

Bob is doing a fish fry, and I'll provide cornbread and baked beans. There is usually some pickled fish and goat cheese around, also.

I can bring out my old set up, and I'll ask lschiavo to bring water (his is pretty good). BraveSirRobin said he can't make it until around 4 PM, so that kind of late to start brewing so someone else might have to do it! Maybe I can convince lschiavo to brew a 10 gallon batch? :D

Looks like it may just be me coming. Troy is going to a wedding and Niki is shooting photos for the wedding. She may stop in afterwards though.

I would be happy to bring anything needed for brewing. Water, grain, hops...no problem. Of course, my system is not very mobile. I could bring a burner, therminator, kettle(s)...let me know what is needed.

Now I gotta figure a way that I wont have to drive.

By the way, Homer, I don't want to deter your wife from driving Sat night. But I have to tell you that it's DARK here after 8:30 PM central. I mean DARK. No streetlights and it's two lanes from here to Houghton. Lots of deer, too. If she's not terribly comfortable driving on rural roads in the evening, that could be an issue.

It hasn't been getting dark here until near 10:00, but you are a bit farther north, so that makes sense. We'll just have to play it by ear.

I'll have my wife and both daughters, Kim 15, and Kara 10. They can play in the lake or whatever if we want to get a bit rowdy, although I haven't seen much of that on the brewdays I've been to so far.

I will most likely show up (more like 99% sure I will). I won't be brewing though. Planning a camping trip in the Nicolet Forest that weekend, somewhere between Florence and Eagle River, so I'll be probably only 10-15 miles from Iron River down on WI-139. Be camping with a friend or 2, so they'll likely show up too. I can bring some of my home brew, but won't be brewing.

I will most likely show up (more like 99% sure I will). I won't be brewing though. Planning a camping trip in the Nicolet Forest that weekend, somewhere between Florence and Eagle River, so I'll be probably only 10-15 miles from Iron River down on WI-139. Be camping with a friend or 2, so they'll likely show up too. I can bring some of my home brew, but won't be brewing.

Oh, great! I'm glad that you'll be over. It will be fun to meet you!

It hasn't been getting dark here until near 10:00, but you are a bit farther north, so that makes sense. We'll just have to play it by ear.

I'll have my wife and both daughters, Kim 15, and Kara 10. They can play in the lake or whatever if we want to get a bit rowdy, although I haven't seen much of that on the brewdays I've been to so far.

My daughter will be around. She great with teens and pre-teens, and I'm sure they'll be fine. My daughter will be 9 months pregnant, so she won't exactly been running races with them, but she will enjoy visiting and swimming and playing cards and the like.

My daughter will be around. She great with teens and pre-teens, and I'm sure they'll be fine. My daughter will be 9 months pregnant, so she won't exactly been running races with them, but she will enjoy visiting and swimming and playing cards and the like.

We're not going to have to perform a childbirth at BrewDay, will we?

Back