Dry equivalent to WYEAST Ringwood Ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevedasleeve

Reaction score
I have Windsor and Safale S-04 - which do you think might be closer to Ringwood? I'm trying to duplicate a recipe (my wife loved it!) but do not have the Ringwood yeast,

Thanks!

Definitely Windsor and keep it near the top of its temperature range to maximize the fruity esters.

Thanks! I was thinking I would have no use for my 3 packs of Windsor (which I got in a whim!)

Steve da sleeve

Yes, you answered his Q, we were drifting off topic, at least to a tangent topic that the product was available... just in case he meant he couldn't 'find' it. Now he knows where he can get it in the future.

Yes, you answered his Q, we were drifting off topic, at least to a tangent topic that the product was available... just in case he meant he couldn't 'find' it. Now he knows where he can get it in the future.

Oh OK thanks! Actually I am not terribly interested in it, particularly if my $1.60 pack of Windsor does the trick That vs $6 for the Ringwood liquid yeast, $2 for malt extract to make the starter, and an extra 2 days to get it working before pitching, then coaxing the beer to continue fermenting when it stalls after 2 weeks at 1020... Tastes great but I am not that patient and I live on a teachers salary!

Anyway I think I'm a dry yeast kindof brewer as it turns out since I have made brilliant beer with dry yeast!!

:cross:

Cheers,
Steve da sleeve

According to these professional brewers, Ringwood is a highly attenuative strain: I don't think you're going to go get a comparable ferment from a dry yeast. And certainly not from Windsor.

"These yeasts are very vigorous, and plow through a batch of beer in jigtime, and sometimes don't know when to quit. They will eat up every scrap of fermentable sugar in a beer, leaving a nicely dry malt finish. Brewers call that a high degree of attenuation, the level to which a yeast will ferment the sugars in a beer. Bob Johnson, partner-brewer at Magic Hat, another one of New England's big Ringwood brewers, loves that about Ringwood. "Everything that can ferment, will. It's a rocket."

According to these professional brewers, Ringwood is a highly attenuative strain: I don't think you're going to go get a comparable ferment from a dry yeast. And certainly not from Windsor.

"These yeasts are very vigorous, and plow through a batch of beer in jigtime, and sometimes don't know when to quit. They will eat up every scrap of fermentable sugar in a beer, leaving a nicely dry malt finish. Brewers call that a high degree of attenuation, the level to which a yeast will ferment the sugars in a beer. Bob Johnson, partner-brewer at Magic Hat, another one of New England's big Ringwood brewers, loves that about Ringwood. "Everything that can ferment, will. It's a rocket."

Yeah whatever. For me the one time I used it it stalled at 1.020 and nothing I could do would move it forward. It took a long while to begin also. And it was very far from a "nicely dry malt finish." for me. So whatever. I suppose it is a fantastic strain of yeast for professionals but for me it is too expensive and too finicky to fock with. I have had plenty of success with Nottingham and US-05 and S-04 with the same OG beers (and higher) under the same conditions.

FWIW and YMMV and WTF etc and so on,

Steve da sleeve

Back