Youngs Double Chocolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good clone for someone who has only brewed one batch??

If you just want to click and go, austin homebrew has a double chocolate stout recipe kit that gets very good reviews.

Here you go, I just did an AG version of this lat Monday.

.5 lbs LDME
4 lbs 2oz LLME
8oz 2-row pale ale malt(just noticed this, is this a partial mash?)
11 oz crystal malt 60deg L
13 oz chocolate malt
12 oz lactose
8 oz invert sugar
4 oz cane sugar
6 oz cocoa powder
.33 oz liquid chocolate extract
1.4 oz Fuggles @ 60min
.25 oz Kent Goldings @ 15 min
Wyeast 1318(London Ale III)

steep grains for 45 min @ 153deg F 3qts
rinse with 1.5 qts 170deg F sparge water
add DME, sugars and water to make 3gals and bring to boil
add cocoa disolved in hot water at 15 mins along with LME
hop at times shown above.

In putting this up I noticed it uses 2 row in the steeping grains. So I guess you could consider this a partial mash if any sugars are added from that.

2nd Street Brewery said:
There's one in BYO's 150 recipe issue. I need to find mine. I'll post or PM you with it.

That would be awesome!

2nd Street Brewery said:

.5 lbs LDME
4 lbs 2oz LLME
13 oz chocolate malt
12 oz lactose
8 oz invert sugar
4 oz cane sugar
6 oz cocoa powder
1.4 oz Fuggles @ 60min

In putting this up I noticed it uses 2 row in the steeping grains. So I guess you could consider this a partial mash if any sugars are added from that.

How difficult would you say that is to make?

im a newb still.

BrooZer said:
How difficult would you say that is to make?

im a newb still.

If you can make soup, then you can do it. Seriously, my first batch was a straight extract from a kit and my second batch was a PM. It just looks harder than it is.

It is a very straight forward recipe, you may have hunt to find the invert sugar, the guy at my LHBS gave me a recipe to make it, also the late addition of the LME is probobly not something that you've seen yet. You should be ok.

What is invert sugar? Lactose? Could I use maltodextrin instead?

Is that what is in your primary right now 2nd Street? How is it? Do you by any chance have an E-Brewing journal?

Yeah that is what I have going now, I tasted a little bitter when I took a gravity reading this weekend but that should mellow out over time. Sorry no journal, not a big note taker;) You'd need to do a search for invert sugar, not sure what it is technically. The recipe he gave me used cane sugar, water and tintanic(sic) acid. mixed a small(1/8th tsp) of the acid with a pound of sugar and 3 tbsp water and heated untill the sugar turned a light gold. He said you could probably find it in the stores but maybe not.

BrooZer said:
What is invert sugar? Lactose? Could I use maltodextrin instead?

Is that what is in your primary right now 2nd Street? How is it? Do you by any chance have an E-Brewing journal?

From www.sugar.org:
Invert sugar
Sucrose can be split into its two component sugars (glucose and fructose). This process is called inversion, and the product is called invert sugar. Commercial invert sugar is a liquid product that contains equal amounts of glucose and fructose. Because fructose is sweeter than either glucose or sucrose, invert sugar is sweeter than white sugar.

You can use maltodextrine in place of lactose. Of course, the results won't be exactly the same. Being a bit intolerant of the former, I substituted the latter in my sweet stout recipe.

Hey im a lactard as well... So how did it turn out using maltodextrin instead of lactose?

BrooZer said:
Hey im a lactard as well... So how did it turn out using maltodextrin instead of lactose?

I might be a bit partial, but I think it's absolutely delicious. I was trying to copy St. Peters Cream Stout and I think I came pretty darn close.

I recommend the kit from Austin. I have it in secondary right now and will bottle in the next couple of days. I took a taste when I racked it and it was great. By far the best flavor I have had prior to carbonation. I expect it to be great.

2nd Street Brewery said:

.5 lbs LDME
4 lbs 2oz LLME
13 oz chocolate malt
12 oz lactose
8 oz invert sugar
4 oz cane sugar
6 oz cocoa powder
1.4 oz Fuggles @ 60min

Hey 2nd Street, what is this a clone of?

I've got a clone of Rocky River Brewing Company's (Ohio) Chocolate Jitters in primary right now and I can't wait to try it. I only have the one page (photocopy) so I don't see the recipe you posted.

I bottled the AHS Youngs last night. Interesting for sure. You add 1 oz of unsweetend coco powder to the primer. It looked like cholocate soup. I tasted a sample and it was very chocolately. Much more than a Young's really is. But I expect that to tame down a bit as in conditions.

Back