15 gallon fermenter. Is this any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I would be leary of is not being able to clean them properly, or at least not knowing 100% that they are clean. Just my .02

I don't think they'd be any harder to clean than a better bottle or a glass carboy. I'd expect to just fill it with water and oxyclean, and that should do it. I would be a bit leary about how clean they are when they arrive though, but giving it a good wash should clear it up. I need to order some things anyway, so maybe I'll just give this thing a whirl. Hopefully this won't turn into needing to buy a double banjo burner and another brewpot though. SWMBO already isn't happy about the expense of my hobby.

http://www.homebrewhq.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2266

has anybody ever used one of these, or even heard of anyone who has? It doesn't say anything about recycling code, but it does say it's "food grade plastic". Does this interest anyone, or should I stear clear?

It looks to be the same thing as this which many people use as fermenters. I wish that site would show you shipping though. I might call them later and get an estimate cause $10 a piece is a good price.

Yep, looks the same, only difference is one is brand new and one is used. For 10 bucks though, I guess it's worth a shot. Might grab one for making ciders for now, till I upgrade my equipment to make a 15 gallon batch. Actually, with a fermenter like this, what kind of headspace would you have to leave?

I work at a Bop and we use these for our 15 gallon brews. We actually line them with food grade plastic bags as a way of insurance because no matter how well u clean plastic there could be a small nick in the wall where bacteria will grow.

I use them Get them from my milk farm and they do work well. Not as easy to clean as a better bottle but still not to bad.

Look around and see if there are any milk farms in your area, They will have a bunch these and most places will just give them away.

FYI on the shipping. I ordered 3 (now canceled) and the shipping ALONE was $47.

That's not that bad, it's not like you're ordering something small. It's 3 huge plastic containers.

$77 for three 15 gallon fermenters is actually a pretty good deal.

That's not that bad, it's not like you're ordering something small. It's 3 huge plastic containers.

The shipping charge for the same thing from us plastic is $19. I thought shipping would be expensive on these when I saw the listed shipping weight on the website was 32#

#32 - I saw that as well. I wish they made that same exact container in 10 gallons. The one downside I see to 15 gallons is soaking it. You would need at least 8 gallons of hot water and oxyclean to soak it after fermentation.

I do primary in these. I have 4 of them. 2 for primary 2 to pick up RO water. They work great and are not bad to clean. I transfer to 6 gallon glass for secondary. I use a 1/2" auto siphon to transfer with and marked it to not suck out the trub. I use oxy clean and fill it up and let it go for a few days, then I cap it and turn it over for a few days and rinse. My complaints are that it is hard to dump it clean, since there is a ridge around the bung. Wants to keep some liquid in there. Also at 12.5 gallons I get the fermentation crud against the top and that is why I have to flip it. I use a king nipple and 3/4" tubing for blow off. They seal air tight and work great. For $10 I would recommend it for sure. That said, if I could get an open top that would be my 1st choice.

#32 - I saw that as well. I wish they made that same exact container in 10 gallons. The one downside I see to 15 gallons is soaking it. You would need at least 8 gallons of hot water and oxyclean to soak it after fermentation.

Don't need that much water I put in two or so gallons and lay it on its side and roll it a few times over an hour or so . Cleans right up it also very easy to shake it with little water in it .
I do primary in these. I have 4 of them. 2 for primary 2 to pick up RO water. They work great and are not bad to clean. I transfer to 6 gallon glass for secondary. I use a 1/2" auto siphon to transfer with and marked it to not suck out the trub. I use oxy clean and fill it up and let it go for a few days, then I cap it and turn it over for a few days and rinse. My complaints are that it is hard to dump it clean, since there is a ridge around the bung. Wants to keep some liquid in there. Also at 12.5 gallons I get the fermentation crud against the top and that is why I have to flip it. I use a king nipple and 3/4" tubing for blow off. They seal air tight and work great. For $10 I would recommend it for sure. That said, if I could get an open top that would be my 1st choice.

dont need to fill it all the way up just a few gallons is all you need just flip it over to clean the top.

Well after canceling the order I found them for $5 locally. Picking up 4 on Thursday.

Yeah, big plastic containers aren't hard to find. I got one of these for free a while back. I haven't fermented in it yet though.

So using it as a fermenter is a definite. I was just curious if anyone was using these containers. Not trying to push a site or a certain type, but just wanted to know if these are something people use. Thanks for all the info guys, may pick up one or two for future use.

Latest posts

Back