Need suggestions for dis-connects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptsparkle

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.

Consider going to Home Depot or Lowes and getting the quick connects associated with aircompressors. They come in a couple of sizes the brass ones would probably be the most appropriate.

Hello all,

I'm currently assembling the parts to build a three vessel, same level, 10 Gallon, all grain system. I would like to install quick dis-connects between the outlet of the HTL and MT and the inlet to a March pump. I will have a March pump between the HLT and MT as well as the MT and BT. I'm interested in running flexible tubing from the two outlets to the two inlets of the pumps as to facilitate removing the kettles for cleaning. Obviously, I will need quick dis-connects from the ball valves of the drain of both the HLT and MT. Each vessel is a 30 1/2 gallon converted Sanke keg.

Construction will commence immediately upon my return to the states from the sands of Iraq.

I need suggestions for disconnects. Brand, type, suppliers, etc, as well as tubing types.

Thanks folks.

Just did this to pump from Boil into chiller. 1/2 couplers on the March, and used thier quick PolY Disconnects on each side, works great.:rockin: Evertyhing I needed from Mark at Midwest Brewing Supply. Thanks for serving

Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot

Your going to find a lot of people suggesting the brass QD from http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for part 6739K64 and 6739K59 on their website. They are very affordable and work just great. The only downside is you'll need to wear some gloves when using them while hot
That's what I use. They're cheap and work great. And c'mon, they don't get that hot. I haven't had to use gloves yet.

In the past month I did exactly what you're planning on doing. I ended up ordering the McMaser brass "coolant" QDs. I put male connects on the pump, ball valves, etc. and females on the tubing. It works great and made life much easier. They get a little hot but not too bad. With the females on the tubing its relatively easy to one-hand the disconnect with a glove on as well. This is what I ordered:

3038K261 High-temp Nsf-51 Silicone Rubber Tubing, 1/2" Id, 3/4" Od, 1/8" Wall, Translucent

6739K59 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Plug, 1/2" Nptf Male, 3/8" Coupling Size

6739K64 Straight Through Coolant Hose Coupling, Sleeve-lck Sckt X Barb For 1/2"hose Id,3/8"cplg Sz

Gordie

You tried running boiling liquid through them? Gets pretty hot. From the HLT, MLT, or cleanup I don't need the gloves.
Sure, but the only time I'm switching them around is before the boil. Once I reach the boil and they're connected, I don't have to move them around until I'm done chilling (when they're cool). You'd have to be really stupid to grab them during a boil. ;)

I use them on my rig too. The males go on the vessel ball valves and then I had my hoses hard clamped to the pump in/out with the female QD's on the ends. I recently got two more females though so I can completely remove the hoses from the system during storage. One other trick I want to suggest is making up a male coolant QD to Female garden hose thread fitting. This allows you to connect your hose to the wort system for a full flush of your lines, chiller and pump under high pressure.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've checked them all out and am leaning towards the McMaster products.

I just ordered my last kettle today from Homebrew.org and last big purchase is the two pumps.

I get home near the end of June, then two weeks off until the next tour. Three years at FT Knox and then retirement. All that equals more time for brewing and golf.

Can't wait!!! Thanks everybody!!

Back