IC with Soldered Joints

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAbrewer07

Reaction score
I have been considering making an immersion chiller out of half inch copper pipe and was wondering if exposing boiling wort to the soldered joints would pose some sort of health hazard or create off flavors. The increase in volume and decrease in cost seem substantial and my guess is tubing has been favored by most people because there is very little labor involved in using it.

TIA

FYI: I'm going to use half inch straight pipe--the kind that can't be bent easily. There might be as many as twelve soldered joints immersed in the wort.

Thanks everyone for your input.

if you have it or can get it at the right price use it.
you can use a tubing bender you just wont be able to have that nice round shape that fits nicley inside a pot. Using a bender you can bend the tubing and not kink it as you would bending it around a round object.
jim

i would not say they are awesome but useful in this situation.
i used a good one (with rollers insted of just plates to slide across) for about 3 months on 1/2" stainless soft and hard tube. bending 180 bends in hard stainless was not fun to say the least. now compression fittings are awesome and expensive.

Tubing benders? Just to make use of some rigid pipe as a chiller? I don't know how it would be worth it when you can get 50' of 1/2" refrigeration tubing for $50

You know what, I remember Biermuncher put together a made-from-rigid-pipe chiller with like 20 elbows.. that was interesting.

Back