Suggestions for a new grill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffjm

Reaction score
As I sit inside watching the snow pile up, I'm thinking about replacing my grill, since the current one is starting to show its age. Right now I've got a chargriller, which is nice because it has a huge amount of grill space, a separate firebox for indirect heat, and can raise and lower the coals. Unfortunately it is rust-prone despite my efforts with an angle grinder.

This is how I normally use it:

• A few times a year, I cook enough burgers/brats/dogs to feed 20-30 people.
  • Once or twice a month, I smoke a pork butt, a turkey breast, ribs, a chuck roast, or a combination of these.
  • A couple of times a week, I grill dinner for the wife and myself. Steaks/chops/poultry/vegetables/fish/kabobs...sometimes a pizza.

I'm not opposed to buying both a grill and a smoker if that's the best way to go forward, or to spending some significant $$$ for a device that will do both. I definitely don't want gas. A lot of the charcoal grills I've looked at depend on regulating airflow to control heat, rather than moving the tray with the coals, which is something I've not had to do before, so I'm not too sure about them.

What grill are you using and why do you like or dislike it? Does anyone have suggestions on what I should buy?

I have the char- broil commercial three burner gas grill. For the money, the best grill I've had yet. Almost impossible to burn stuff up. Also they have a two burner. I have just a cheap patio smoker that works ok. Cheers!

image-1491471293.jpg

image-3538101314.jpg

You may want to get a mod to move this to the smoking section, although there is probably significant cross-pollination.

I've heard good things about ceramic cookers / smokers for what your talking about, but they tend not to have real estate and I don't have any first hand experience.

I got a Primo a few years ago. It takes some practice to get the hang of it but once you do you can hold any temp you want from 200F to allegedly 1100F (I've not gone over 750F). They're expensive and they'll hit you for accessories, but once that's over with I don't think I could go back. Smoker, grill, pizza oven all in one. With the oval indirect is easy. The ceramic does seem to keep everything moister. I will say before I got the hang of it the grill used to tick me off. If you come from a charcoal background you probably wouldn't have as much if an issue.

I'm in a similar situation, I get 4-6 years out of a $200-$300 charcoal grill/smoker and it is shot. Our grill/smoker gets a great deal of use in the "summer months" we eat 3-4 meals a week prepared on it so we get our moneys worth. But I don't like loosing all the "seasoning" we have built up over the years.

The angle grinder and a spray can of hi-temp paint can only go so far, living in Ohio the season changes and humidity is tough on mild steel. My thought is to buy something built out of a heaver material and of a higher quality than the 18-20 gauge sheet metal that most of the big retail chains sell. A grill that I can have sandblasted ever few years and repaint. Here are the reviews I have been looking at.

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/charcoal_grill_reviews_and_ratings.html#hasty_bake

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/charcoal_smokers.html

Love the grill my dad bought years ago.

It's basically a giant charcoal grill where we bought a side fire box. Works well for smoking but is amazing for grilling. Cast iron grates, adjustable charcoal tray for varying heat levels, and more.

I scrapped it all last season for a 22" weber kettle with a smokenator attachment. I am probably gonna buy another full setup this season for large parties.

Great flavor, excellent temperature control, great versatility. Bought it as an experiment and have now gone with it full time.

Cheers!
-blake

image-854670318.jpg

I'm a huge fan the Char Griller. I can smoke meat or grill enough food to feed large groups.

I think the chain is not as large as it used to be, but mine is a 3-burner from BBQ Galore. Key features- 3 burners, cast iron grills (really important for grilling meat), and enough room betweeen the ceramic brickettes and the grills for a smoker box. When I'm smoking, I put water trays over two of the burners, a smoker box over the 3rd burner, and my BBQ is amazing.

Weber 22 inch. I use mine constantly. Does everything. And looks cool too.

They also last forever. I just sold my red weber, it was from 1979.

image-2932117628.jpg

Back