Skunked beer in a brown bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stauffbier

Reaction score
I bought a 6 pack of Warsteiner Dunkel this evening, and I cracked one open with great excitement just to notice the aroma of skunked beer. I took a swig, and sure enough... it's slightly skunked! It was very disappointing! I was really looking forward to the crisp, malty taste that I experienced last time I tried this beer. I've never had a beer in a brown bottle that was skunked. They must have stored them in direct sun for a week or something... Have any of you ever experienced skunking in a brown bottle before?

Occasionally I will get a 6 pack of something unusual at bevmo or a non-craft beer store and have them be skunked. It's rare, but it has definitely happened.

Stauffbier said:
I bought a 6 pack of Warsteiner Dunkel this evening, and I cracked one open with great excitement just to notice the aroma of skunked beer. I took a swig, and sure enough... it's slightly skunked! It was very disappointing! I was really looking forward to the crisp, malty taste that I experienced last time I tried this beer. I've never had a beer in a brown bottle that was skunked. They must have stored them in direct sun for a week or something... Have any of you ever experienced skunking in a brown bottle before?

If you purchased at a reputable store you frequent take it back and let them know.

If you purchased at a reputable store you frequent take it back and let them know.

The place is new in town, and I'm not sure how reputable they could be considered. I've already drank two, and the second one tasted the same. I held a bottle up to the sun next to one of my empty homebrew bottles, and I noticed the Warsteiner bottle has a lighter, almost greenish tinge to it compared to one of my homebrew bottles. The skunking is very mild, but I can taste it. I think I'll just chug the rest of these, and not shop there anymore. The prices were a bit high for my tastes, as well. There is another craft beer store in town that is very reputable, and I happen to be friends with people that work there. The only reason I bought from this new place tonight is because it's only a couple blocks from my house and the other place is a 30 minute drive. I'll be going there in a couple days to pick up grain (they also sell homebrew stuff), and I'll stock up on a few goodies to justify the drive...

Wow... that sucks, I LOVE Warsteiner Dark and have never had that happen. Although, you are correct that the glass is a little lighter than most, which could be a problem given the right (wrong) circumstances.

The funny thing is that I'm brewing a similar beer to this one this weekend. It's going to be a semi-partygyle brew. The first runnings will be the Dunkel and the second runnings will get a little more base malt added in and be an amber(ish)...

Back