My Boss has decided to subsidize my obsession...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kokak

Reaction score
After bringing in a case of a Pumpkin Ale I had made for thanksgiving and having an afterhours tasting session with a few co-workers (including the boss / owner). He has proposed a beer of the month club.

• He will pay for the kits
  • He will provide his own bottles
  • I provide a case of beer every month from the batch I brew

This sounds like a WIN - WIN to me, as I am making at least 1 batch every month.

At least this way; I can have 3 different batches bottle conditioning at any one time and use the excuse that the boss wanted a new batch for a party.

that is awesome, except that you are giving away half of your beer...i think I would do it though. It is free kits and all, still HALF...

That is awesome! Your boss likes your beer so much that he is willing to pay for it. That would make me feel really good.
I assuming that the case is for work parties? So you will be getting to drink some then also.

tell him you'll take care of the ordering and turn in the CC receipts. Then jump to Ag and brew 10G batches. Give him his case and you keep 3 :)

Or just be honest and take a free half case of beer per month. Although 24 bottles of hb per month would not be sufficient.
Maybe these Office beers can be worked into a work day. 1 day a month you brew at work on the clock.

that is awesome, except that you are giving away half of your beer...i think I would do it though. It is free kits and all, still HALF...

How is that unfair? It's not half of his beer, it's half of EXTRA beer. It doesn't keep him from brewing other stuff on his own dime just like he does now anyway, and keeping the whole batch.

I'd jump for joy if someone offered that to me.

well technically the boss is paying for half the batch (since he's taking half) and not paying for labor, so its a wash.

I think thats a great deal.

Since labor is essentially free (you're doing it for free now because its fun) in my mind you get a free case of beer. Its nice when someone appreciates what you make, it even better if they help you make more!

well technically the boss is paying for half the batch (since he's taking half) and not paying for labor, so its a wash.

That depends on how you value your brewing time. I am pretty sure that anyone who does it as a hobby is in effect already happily spending that time brewing anyway, so it's not a wash in my book.

I thinks it's a pretty good deal. I think my boss would subsidize exchanging my CO2 tanks for any poisonous gas, and he wouldn't even take half. That's just the kind of person he is!

Let me clarify...

By case I mean one dozen 16 Oz bottles (a case of Flip Tops is only 12). So actually he only gets 1.5 gallons of my 5 gallon batch.

Let me clarify...

By case I mean one dozen 16 Oz bottles (a case of Flip Tops is only 12). So actually he only gets 1.5 gallons of my 5 gallon batch.

Ah, now there you go! The deal is even sweeter than we thought.

Sweet deal! Only downside is what happens if you ever make a bad batch? I'd be afraid of straying from tried and true recipes if my boss was paying for it.

I was just kidding, of course this is agood deal, I would though start doing 10g batches if I were you ;)

That depends on how you value your brewing time. I am pretty sure that anyone who does it as a hobby is in effect already happily spending that time brewing anyway, so it's not a wash in my book.

+1 I would see this arrangement as me giving away too much. I enjoy the time I spend brewing (or I wouldn't do it) and I don't need to be subsidized to brew.

Boss, I need to go home early today. It is critical that i bottle YOUR beer within the next hour or it will go off........Honestly! :)

At first it seems like a pretty good deal. But after a while, you'll start to resent doing all that work for your boss to have a case of homebrew. Ya, ya, he's your boss.. blah, blah, blah. He should pay for the full 5 gallons of brew, AND he needs to assist in a brew day and bottling day. People don't realize how much time and effort goes into this hobby.

At first it seems like a pretty good deal. But after a while, you'll start to resent doing all that work for your boss to have a case of homebrew. Ya, ya, he's your boss.. blah, blah, blah. He should pay for the full 5 gallons of brew, AND he needs to assist in a brew day and bottling day. People don't realize how much time and effort goes into this hobby.

I'd keep him away from the brew day myself... Wouldn't want him getting the idea that he could do it himself and keep the full 5 gallons. I don't love bottling, but that's really the only part of the brewing process I see as "effort".

I dunno, Now that it's only 1.5 gallons out of 5 and you get 3.5G for free. I'd say do it. Who get's to pick what beer is brewed when? And It looks like you brew enough to do this batch plus at least another for yourself every month. Looks like a good deal. Just make sure he is aware, although unlikely, it is possible to have an occasional bad batch (turns out to delicious to share:D)

Back