water help needed....brewing in the morning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
I am brewing an ESB from extract in the morning using RO water. I thought I had the right chemicals, but now I am not so sure. I have Calcium Carbonate and gypsum. Looks like I need Calcium Chloride reading the water chemistry primer.

Any help?

Thanks

calcium chloride and gypsum are the two key things to have..... However, for an ESB, gypsum is more important than Calcium chloride. I am not familiar with calcium carbonate.... so hopefully someone else will pipe in on that.

One thing you could do is to use 1 gram of gypsum per gallon of mash water and .2 grams canning salt per gallon of mash water (same for sparge water on both). That would get you close on your calcium, sulfate and chloride.... assuming youa re using 100% RO water. I ran those through Bru'n Water with 100% RO water. Not perfect, but should get you a solid water profile for an ESB.
Maybe others have some better thoughts?

Don't add anything to your water. The extract has already been mashed, adding salts won't do anything. Quality extract is usually brewed with a suitable water profile. Plus you have no idea what your starting profile is so you could easily end up with way too much.

Water additions are for all grain brews to hit flavor and mash pH targets. Extracts already have the required minerals.

Go straight RO with extract beers.

Alright, getting a cup of coffee in me and checking the boards before I fire up the burner. Thanks for the help, straight RO water it is.

+1.... sorry, did not see that you said "extract" - as stated above, no additions needed with extract as minerals are in the extract itself. You are good to go with straight RO.

Back