ground cinamon in apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daum

Reaction score
What do you guys think? Could it be good? It has been about a week was thinking about adding it to the carboy for flavoring? Maybe a tad bit of nutmeg? thoughts? suggestions?!
Daum

ground spices, at least finely ground into a powder, never played well in my meads. i'd buy whole cinnamon stick and coarse grind/chop it.

Ground cinnamon won't dissolve in your cider, so you'd end up with the ground particles of cinnamon in it, which may settle to the bottom, but could easily be resuspended when you rack it off.

Yeah, I put some ground cinnamon into my 1 gallon jug last night. I know it won't totally settle out, but hopefully after a few months (and with some careful racking) I can minimize it. I didn't have any sticks, but had just bought a fresh bottle of ground last week.

I'm not worried about it, but if it was for public consumption I think I would be more careful and use sticks next time.

My first batch of Apfelwein I added ground cinnamon into the "boil", and I also threw 2 cinnamon sticks into the carboy.

After all that, I can't even taste the cinnamon. :eek:

When I first heard of apfelwein, I figured that cinnamon in it would be just splended.

Having just downed three glasses more on an empty stomach (Lost my apfelwein virginity yesterday!) I'm not exactly sure that cinnamon would go well with the flavour if this.

I like the tartness of apfelwein, there's very little sweetness and that's what I've always thought made cinnamon good with... apples. :)

talleymonster said:
My first batch of Apfelwein I added ground cinnamon into the "boil", and I also threw 2 cinnamon sticks into the carboy.

After all that, I can't even taste the cinnamon. :eek:

Boil? What boil? There ain't no boiling going in in Apfelwein. Just drinkin! :cross:

Kevin Dean said:
When I first heard of apfelwein, I figured that cinnamon in it would be just splended.

Having just downed three glasses more on an empty stomach (Lost my apfelwein virginity yesterday!) I'm not exactly sure that cinnamon would go well with the flavour if this.

I like the tartness of apfelwein, there's very little sweetness and that's what I've always thought made cinnamon good with... apples. :)

There you go. No need to mess up a simple drink. Thanks for paying attention to the three glass rule. :cross:

EdWort said:
There you go. No need to mess up a simple drink. Thanks for paying attention to the three glass rule. :cross:

Ed, 3 glasses of Apfelwein maked me sleep like a baby. Maybe I should consider smaller glasses for this stuff...

Give this a shot once the temperature drops, I used to love this during the winter in Germany.

"Heiss Ebbelwein"

4 3/4 cups Apfelwein
2oz sugar
1/2 cinnamon stick (use less or more to taste)
2-3 cloves
the peels off two lemon slices

Bring 1/2 cup of the Apfelwein to a boil with the sugar and spices. Remove from the heat and leave to steep for 20-30 minutes.
Pour the rest of the Apfelwein into a separate pot on low heat, pour the spice mixture into the pot (I used to strain through a strainer). Heat to just under a boil and serve in a tall mug. Enjoy!

EdWort said:
Boil? What boil? There ain't no boiling going in in Apfelwein. Just drinkin! :cross:

That's why I put boil in quotes. It wasn't a real boil. I just warmed 1 gallon enough to get all the sugar completely disolved. :fro:

Latest posts

Back