Safbre T-58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpc8015

Reaction score
Anybody ever used the Safbrew T-58 dry yeast? It is described as a European style yeast good for dunkelweissen and German style wheat beers.

T58 is closer in flavor profile to the Belgian strains. Are you sure you aren't thinking of WB06?

It is a little spicy, peppery. It is also very quick. I like it.

So could I be bottling a medium OG beer, say 1.05, in about ten days?

Yes you could. I usually keep it about 63 deg and it will knock down the gravity in 2 days, then give it awhile to clean up after itself.

I am using this at the moment with a brown belgian ale. OG was around 1.040 before I added sugar and it was down to 1.015ish overnight. Added 1kg of golden syrup on Day 2 and it's now down to around 1.010 on Day 3 and still bubbling away. Fermented on the low end (but I did pitch the yeast while the wort was on the warm side). While the wort was cooling I rehydrated the yeast in a cup of wort and water. Smelled delicious and was bubbling furiously when I pitched it. I reckon I will be using this again.

I just used it on Saturday in a Clementine Wit that I made and it bubbled like crazy at 58 degrees for two days and has now stopped. It smells great, but I am going to force myself to wait until this Saturday to take a gravity sample.

I'm using it right now, for the first time. I got a LOT of fruity aroma (smelled really good, delicious!) and later some solventy (fusel alcohols?, smelled pungent) smells by pitching three packets into 5 gallons of 70-point (measured) 62-degree wort and letting fermentation go for one week in the primary with the temp capped at 75 F. Both smells, particularly the solvent-like smell, are dissipating gradually since I racked to a secondary (now at day 11). At one point I thought I detected some spice or clove, but it may have been illusory wishful thinking. Regardless of the spice (phenolics are characteristic for the strain, I believe moreso at lower fermentation temps when esters won't be as dominant), I anticipate an interesting ale, which I struggle to classify further than like an Old Ale, but with a Belgian strain of yeast. I wonder how well it will attentuate and whether the (now dormant) yeast will rebound enough to condition properly. It's exciting, but I'm rather impatient with it. I'm tempted to bottle early just to try it out sooner, but I won't.

I am using this right now in a Blue Moon clone. SWMBO loves that beer so this one is for her! Anyway, this yeast has surprised me a couple times. To start, I pitched at 65 degrees and it took off and I had activity in my blow off within three hours. Very fast initial ferment. After it stopped with blow off activity, it was quiet for about a week. Then it took off again and I had two days of activity in my blowoff. Two days ago this happened again. I am still seeing a bubble in my blowoff every minute or so. I've never had a beer do this before. This beer will be in primary for four weeks on Saturday. My brew room has a pretty constant temp, ranging between 62 and 65 degrees depending on the day. I haven't sampled this yet, but may later this week or Sunday. Really want to keg it, but if the yeasties aren't done, they get to keep working and I'll wait!

I've had some good success with t58, used it in a wit style with raw wheat, and hefeweizen style ales. This yeast is another success as well as the other fermentis products such as s33 and wb06.

I just used it for the first time on Sunday in a trippel, with an OG of 1.080. It was bubbling within 4 hours. By far the fastest I've had so far.

I've used S-33 alot..how does T-58 compare in terms of flavor? More/less phenolics? etc.
thanks!

Back