Probably a stupid question, but..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singram

Reaction score
My wife and I were just wrapping up our brewday this past Saturday(our 2nd AG BIAB), when right before taking a gravity reading and pitching the yeast, she snaps the hydrometer in half. I took a wort sample and pitched as usual.

Question: I wont be able to pick up a new hydometer till next week. Will week old wort give me an accurate gravity reading? I see no reason why not, but...

Well, if you kept that wort sample completely sterile for a week, then sure, you'd be able to get an OG reading from it. Did you by any chance can it with a pressure cooker?

The reality of it is, though, that in a week's time, something is likely to take off and start fermenting that sample. Could be wild yeast, could be bacteria. But dollars to donuts, that wort will not be at the same gravity next week that it was when you pitched this weekend.

He pitched the yeast.

So no, your hydrometer sample will not be representative of what he has now. It will have started fermenting.

Do you NEED readings to make good brew? Heck no! Relax, try not to break it next brew.

:mug:

AmandaK said:
He pitched the yeast.

So no, your hydrometer sample will not be representative of what he has now. It will have started fermenting.

Do you NEED readings to make good brew? Heck no! Relax, try not to break it next brew.

+1

I know people worry about not knowing when its finished, buy honestly I've never had an issue. I do just to do, but also skip a lot of readings as well

Don't sweat it. I seem to forget to take an OG about half the time. In the end it's still gonna be beer and likely taste great.

He pitched the yeast.

I took the sample before pitching. I know its neither here nor there, its just that this is our 2nd AG so we're trying to keep a close eye on our efficiency.

He pitched the yeast.

To me, the OP indicates he pulled a wort sample prior to pitching so it would be fine.

You're right, he doesn't need to know the OG to make good beer. But, this being his 2nd AG batch, it would be really good to know if he's hitting his OG and to determine his efficiency. He may also want to know the ABV and you need OG for that too...

You could boil your sample and put it in a sterilized jar until you are ready to read it.

I agree. Reboiling your sample would kill any nasties that got in there. Many people wait several days and in some cases longer before pitching yeast, so you should be fine.

I took the sample before pitching. I know its neither here nor there, its just that this is our 2nd AG so we're trying to keep a close eye on our efficiency.

I must have been quoting and typing as you posted. Try reboiling to kill anything in it and try to keep it as sanitized as possible. You'll be close to the correct OG.

Wow, alot of quick replies! Thanks for the help, guys. I'll reboil it as soon as I get a new hydro.

So lets see, how's the wife gonna make this up to me? I guess Steak and RH Day is coming early this year!:D

Back