A problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
I would like to try brewing a beer and cooling it down to like 90 deg in the kettle, transfer to the carboy, put it into my fermentation chest freezer, take 2-3 hours to cool it down to 68ish deg and then pitch yeast. Does anyone think that this will pose a problem?

Thanks

Do you have a chiller? Ideally you'd chill is straight to 68. If you don't have a chiller or if you happen to be somewhere where the groundwater is very warm, that's probably the best you can do.

I would like to try brewing a beer and cooling it down to like 90 deg in the kettle, transfer to the carboy, put it into my fermentation chest freezer, take 2-3 hours to cool it down to 68ish deg and then pitch yeast. Does anyone think that this will pose a problem?

Thanks

in a direct answer to your question... no problem.

I used to use an ice bath to chill down to 70F & call it good. Now I give it a little more time to chill down to 60-62F,then pour through the usual fine mesh strainer,dito with top off water,into primary. Stir roughly 5 minutes to aeraste even more,& get the wort/top off mixed well.
Then test & pitch. I've done it on the last 2 batches,& it seems a bit cleaner tasting. We'll know next month how good it is. This seems a bit like no chill. I wouldn't take the chance on infections by letting it sit myself.

Back