Two Mead Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jo7hs2

Reaction score
1) In determining the ratio of water to honey, about how much water does a pound of honey correspond to? I'm thinking about making a small batch (1 gallon) of a 3:1 ratio mead, and cannot find a recipe on point.

2) What purpose does the gypsum serve in many mead recipes?

1) most recipes are in lbs of honey per gallon of water, the honey being added first, and the balance of water added to make up that gallon. If you want to make a gallon of mead, you need about 3 lbs of honey for 1 gallon of mead (3:1). This is a pretty standard ratio for mead.

2) Gypsum hardens soft water, making a better environment for the yeast.

So 3lbs. Good, because there is an apiary in the area selling 3lb jugs of honey for $6.50 right now.

Yeah, but you've heard about the problem with the bees, right? It's all supply and demand- sick, dead bees aren't producing honey to meet the demand.

OdinOneEye said:
Yeah, but you've heard about the problem with the bees, right? It's all supply and demand- sick, dead bees aren't producing honey to meet the demand.
I know what you mean, but that's mostly on the coast which SHOULD NOT affect the Midwest prices at all.

I could see if they shipped to the coasts, but these all sell locally only.:mad:

its not just on the coasts, its reported everywhere....I know of 2 apiaries that had problems. One is slowly recovering, but with less than 25% of his usual harvest; the larger apiary is wiped out, with less than 20% of his bees having survived, but just couldn't afford to replace all those bees to keep going. Unfortunately, this is the apiary that I bought most of my honey from :(

Yeah, this place runs $27/gallon. They aren't local enough to avoid shipping, so I'm thinking maybe not.

I see that there is a backyard apiary down the street from me that is currently advertising on the roadside. Maybe I'll see what their prices look like.

Back