Generator for electricity supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kikshaaz

Reaction score
Any issues with using a generator to supply the 20 and or 30 amp 110 supply for the heating elements?
I am short on service in my house but have a generator so instead of paying to upgrade my service the only thing i would need to do is buy gas.

No issues that I can think of.

Although if I may comment, I think you'd be better off going the direct fire route. With a generator, you're taking a fossil fuel, burning it (making heat), and converting it to mechanical energy (all at ~30% efficiency). This mechanical energy is converted to electrical by the generator (at ~80% efficiency). The electrical energy is then used to power your heat sticks (at close to 100% efficiency).

You've released a ton of energy (heat) in the engine, converted it to mechanical then electrical energy, and then you're heating water with it. It'd make more sense to "skip the middle man" and just directly heat your water. Use propane or (better yet) natural gas here, not gasoline. This is the same reason why it's generally cheaper to heat water and your house with nat gas vs. electric.

I get the fact that it is not efficient. Just looking for a way to step up to electric for all grain and move in out of the weather.

Thanks for the response.

The other factor to consider is size. I assume you have already evaluated that.

Most generators are rated at peak watts (the big sticker on the side that got talked about by the pesky sales guy) and continuous watts. Continuous amps are considerably smaller than peak. If you are running a 4500 watt element, plus pump that will take more than the average generator.

Rated at 41 continuous amps and all other misc gear (pumps) can run on household current. At least that is the plan

Latest posts

Back