Primo Stir plate made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far we have quite a few out there and nobody has posted any results. Come on guys are we making beer yet?

I used it just yesterday to mix in my campden tablets into a wine i made a while back. worked wonderfully! I couldn't snap any pictures because every time I would go to grab my phone, I'd get a carb-up. all the carbonation was flying out of it! overall a wonderful item, Thank you BigBeavk! I'll try to take pictures of the starter I'll have going with my next brew this coming sun-tues.

Also, Can I get added to the list again? If not, that's ok.

Bigbeavk,
you have any information on where to purchase these 3" and 5" stir bars?

I found the 3" x 1/2" on ebay along with a 3/4" X shaped one. Of course you could always get them from VWR or many other Lab supply companies.

Awesome news Axlwine glad to here the good news. And yes you sure can get on the list again. It will take some time but sooner or later it will happen. :mug:

No problem guys though It may take more than a year to get through all the requests we have up to this point as I have not taken the time to count them all.

Let's make this the cut off point for now just to keep things simple.

Received mine while I was out for vacation, I'll try to post pics soon.

I think I need some bigger magnets though, I seem to throw the bar at about half speed

LOL just realized I sent one out of order but oh well I got a little mixed up in messages.
Moving on here's a little update.

I_B_Mongo Received
eleets2144 Received
Fetus
wolverinebrewer
rboucher
dave2851
63belair
BrewBeemer
1ratdog
mkultra69
JetSmooth
bodhi314
isquitar
rfavors
Castermmt
Big10Seaner
originalben
RonRock
Crackhead
modobrew
jarod7736
nelgig
Maverick1903
Bachus
Lutinplunder
2DogsBrewing
Lilrascal
Native302
Jublin
mmurray
mcwiler
AxlWine
boomtown25
Liquid Gold
cyberpacker
Vfib
Artemisag
trl2112 rescheduled

The stir plate was sitting on the front steps when I got home from the station this morning! What a great way to start the day. Thanks again Keith! I'll report back with some pics once I get it put to use.

10 more!!

I wish i could find that awesome excited kid .gif LOL

Thank you for keeping up with this!

10 more!!

I wish i could find that awesome excited kid .gif LOL

Thank you for keeping up with this!

Just right click on the one in the post and save it to your computer. Then I think you have to upload it to Photobucket or some other online photo account and use it all you want. :ban:

FYI I made a 1500ml starter last weekend and just ran it at 400rpm for 2 days. That starter looked like a creamy starbucks ice coffee drink when I pitched it. Probably had way more yeast than I would need. They are eating well in my barleywine. I vortex-ed it a little to start just to get some air in there but shaking it would have done the same thing. I'll gets pics next time since I was so focused on the brew day.

I'd like to be added to the list if you come across that many. You don't have to spend time to take it apart, I'd like to see how well it does as an orbital shaker... idk that a stir bar would be better, yeast labs at breweries typically use shakers as far as I know.

:mug:

You can take me off the list. I ended up finding an older Fisher stirplate on ebay for 20bux.

Message Sent to wolverinebrewer

Update
I_B_Mongo Received
eleets2144 Received
FetusReceived
wolverinebrewerReceived:D
rboucher Received
dave2851
63belair
BrewBeemer
1ratdog
mkultra69
JetSmooth
bodhi314
isquitar
rfavors
Castermmt
Big10Seaner
originalben
RonRock
Crackhead7
modobrew
jarod7736
nelgig
Maverick1903
Bachus
Lutinplunder
2DogsBrewing
Lilrascal
Native302
mmurray
mcwiler
AxlWine
boomtown25
Liquid Gold
cyberpacker
Vfib
Artemisag
trl2112

I'm really enjoying the heck out of this :ban:

I'd like to be added to the list if you come across that many. You don't have to spend time to take it apart, I'd like to see how well it does as an orbital shaker... idk that a stir bar would be better, yeast labs at breweries typically use shakers as far as I know.

:mug:

These would need a new rubber gasket in order to use as a shaker. It would not be to difficult to order a piece of rubber from mcmaster carr and punch some holes in it or figure out another way to keep the plate from rotating. I'll try to remember when your name comes up though. :D

That is a really nice looking console there, great find. I know it'd be a while, but I'll get on the list as well. I have a rigged one with a servo from an old hard drive and it's not doing so well, not to mention I can't put more than a flask on top, having my whole carboy on would be so nice.

I would like to be added as well. If it takes more than a year, and you feel like keeping on doing this I would really love to have one!:ban:

Add me to the list, if you would, please. If these things start falling from the sky, maybe I'll get one too? At any rate, you rock for even starting this, man.

For those that are trying to get their magnets to work here's the way mine was set up. I posted a link a few pages back but some haven't seen this yet. I've also been able to slip some spacers in between these so it doesn't use as many magnets.

PICT0003.jpg

Keith, how much pull force is your set-up and can you advise on how much pull force is needed to hold the stir bar? I have been looking at neodymium magnets but I do not want to buy more than I really need.
I am looking at a 2"x1/2"x1/4" stacked on a 2"x1/2"x1/8" magnet which gets a pull force of about 45 lbs. Is this way overkill? I have no idea. Thanks.

Man I'm sorry I didn't see this question asked. I've never measured the pull force but I have tried to add washers in between each magnet just to take up space and use less of them and it didn't work so well. I also tried one stack of magnets and that would only attract on side of the stir bar so that pretty much sucked. It also can be tough to center the stir bar the way I have it pictured above sometimes. It just might work even better by creating a little space between the 2 stacks and use 5 minute epoxy to hold them.

From what I've seen with my own starters is that there is NO need to pull a vortex at all anyway. Shake the wort to aerate it then simply mix at 400rpm for a day or two to keep them yeasties moving and it works like a charm.

I would certainly love to be added to the list. I am local (-ish) in NOVA, so could even meet somewhere if you prefer.

Thanks!

Well, I would like to have one. My paypal is waiting. I would like to take it apart thought. If you have enough of them left. Cheers, and thanks

Man I'm sorry I didn't see this question asked. I've never measured the pull force but I have tried to add washers in between each magnet just to take up space and use less of them and it didn't work so well. I also tried one stack of magnets and that would only attract on side of the stir bar so that pretty much sucked. It also can be tough to center the stir bar the way I have it pictured above sometimes. It just might work even better by creating a little space between the 2 stacks and use 5 minute epoxy to hold them.

From what I've seen with my own starters is that there is NO need to pull a vortex at all anyway. Shake the wort to aerate it then simply mix at 400rpm for a day or two to keep them yeasties moving and it works like a charm.

The reason I was asking is because I use either a growler or a 1 gal wide mouth jar for my starters. Both of these have curved bottoms and I was thinking of using of using a barbell type stir bar. I would think the more "pull" you have, the better the bar would hold to the bottom of the jar.
I do have a plan to get a 3000 ml. flask and use a cylindrical bar but I'm not sure if I should get a 1" or 2" bar. I read that sometimes a 2" bar contains two magnets and will not work with my 2" single magnet. I guess I will just have to fiddle with it until I find the right setup.

Back