Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylan8678

Reaction score
I have a regulator but I'm not positive it is a CO2 regulator. I was pretty sure it was, but I needed a part for it and the guy at my LHBS put into my mind that it may be a nitrogen regulator (I did not have it with me), and if that is the case hooking it up to a CO2 tank would cause it to explode. I checked the regulator and it does not have any info on it except that it is a tap-rite. Anyone have any ideas how to tell for sure which one I have? Thanks!

DSC00593.jpg

I am by no means an expert on these things but I do not think you should have to worry about the regulator exploding. Both CO2 and nitrogen tanks are filled to comparable pressures and therefore the regulator should be able to handle the pressures of either.

Micromatic sells an adapter that connects a CO2 reg to a nitrogen tank which can be found here. And in their forums there are several posts of people asking similar questions the responses to all are that the regulators shouldn't make any difference it is just that nitrogen tanks are threaded differently than C02 tanks.

The reason why you normally only see people using CO2 regulators with nitrogen systems and not vis versa is that there are just more CO2 regulators and beers to begin with. Hope this helps.

Just a quick little note:
I also found the reverse adapter to what I listed above on beverage factory's website. Here is the link.

I think the picture is incorrect however.

Judging from the max. pressure on the gauges (looks like 100 & 60psi), I'd say they are secondary regulators and cannot be connected directly to a CO2 tank. However, you can connect them to a standard regulator's output and have multiple pressures in your kegger.

david_42 said:
Judging from the max. pressure on the gauges (looks like 100 & 60psi), I'd say they are secondary regulators and cannot be connected directly to a CO2 tank. However, you can connect them to a standard regulator's output and have multiple pressures in your kegger.

The one on the right does appear to have a tank fitting on it though.

david_42 said:

That makes sense. I added the tank fitting thinking it would work. I probably ought to take it off and just use it as a secondary regulator. Thanks everyone for the help!

Any cheap single-gauge regulator will only tell you the pressure of the kegs not the tank. On the right hand side is generally where a high pressure gauge would be. I think without the exact pressure tolerances that keeping it as a secondary would be smart. But if you can find the model number there are a lot of clever people on these boards who I am sure can figure it out.

Back