B-Brite just a cleanser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paisano

Reaction score
After getting back to brewing, I am upgrading my practices. I used to always sanitize with bleach solution 'cause I'm old school that way but the rinse is a hassle. I realize that b-brite is a cleanser and not marketed as a sanitizer, but are people using it as a sanitizer?

I think some do. Its sorta like One-Step. many years ago that was my no-rinse sanitizer, but now under new FDA guidelines its just a cleanser like B-Brite, mainly because the manuf. doesn't wanna shell out the money to get FDA to label it a sanitizer.

That said, I don't think B-Brite is a no-rinse sanitizer, so its on par with bleach solutions in terms of 'convenience'. Namely, its not. You *should* rinse it with sanitary water (i.e. boiled 15 mins and then cooled).

So the no-rinse sanitizers like star san and iodiphor win. One-STep was no-rinse too but takes 10 times the contact time to work compared to star-san.

I think some do. Its sorta like One-Step. many years ago that was my no-rinse sanitizer, but now under new FDA guidelines its just a cleanser like B-Brite, mainly because the manuf. doesn't wanna shell out the money to get FDA to label it a sanitizer.

That said, I don't think B-Brite is a no-rinse sanitizer, so its on par with bleach solutions in terms of 'convenience'. Namely, its not. You *should* rinse it with sanitary water (i.e. boiled 15 mins and then cooled).

So the no-rinse sanitizers like star san and iodiphor win. One-STep was no-rinse too but takes 10 times the contact time to work compared to star-san.

Thanks for the feedback. I've started to use b-brite as a sanitizer by soaking equipment in it, then a quick rinse with hot-only tap water (with the understanding that it is not totally sterile). It is much easier to rinse than a bleach solution BUT I began to wonder if I was making a mistake. I've only brewed a few batches this way but I've not had any contamination issues. Do you see any problems with what I'm doing?

Latest posts

Back