Quantity of Steeping Grains in a Chocolate Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am creating my own stout recipe and I'm not sure how much steeping grains I should use. I am aiming for a pretty big, bold brew here... Northern Brewer lets you order 1lb crushed quantities of grains to steep, do I need to reduce the quantities for this recipe? What is the shelf-life of already crushed grains?

Here is my recipe so far:

Chocolate Milk Stout
6 lbs Gold LME
3.15 lb Dark LME
1 lb Lactose
1 lb Corn Sugar
1 lb Steeped Belgian Debittered Black Malt
1 lb Steeped Simpsons Roasted Barley
1 lb Steeped Simpsons Chocolate
2 cups peppermint herbal tea
4oz Fuggle, 4oz EKG
Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale

a pound of everything is not the way to go. look at other stout recipes and see the ranges they use for their grains. if your worried about waisting crushed grains don't buy crushed grains. you can crush them yourself after you measured out the quantities you want. you just need a rolling pin or rolling pin like object and a bag. put the grain in the bag and crush with the rilling pin.

Thanks TD! I cut out the roasted barley.

New steeping grain bill:
.5 lb Steeped Belgian Debittered Black Malt
1 lb Steeped Simpsons Chocolate

I was thinking the pound of chocolate malt would help balance out the sweetness of the lactose and the belgian debittered black malt will just help with overall body and color.. I like my stouts to be dark as night and hoppy as hell for that matter.

On second thought the pound of corn sugar doesn't really make too much sense, probably won't use that. Anyone got any thoughts on the peppermint herbal tea and at what stage to add it? Or is that just going to detract?

Latest posts

Back