Getting Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd68

Reaction score
Just started brewing. Just tried my first batch (not too bad), just bottled my second and third one is fermenting. Hooked already. Any advice for a beginner?

Read lots. Here and anywhere else you can including some really good books out there my wife just bought me radical brews and it's a really cool read. If your on a budget stay out of the DIY section (haha) because you will want to build everything. If your doing extract no matter what anyone tells you don't move on till you are ready get your method down perfect than look to go bigger. Also look into temperature control while you ferment and if using liquid yeast learn about washing yeast to save money and most importantly enjoy the brewing process and YOUR beer welcome to the obsession. Chopps

Also get a note book and keep lots of notes that helps a lot too.

I'll second that.

Good notes help you figure out what went right or wrong, let you avoid doing the wrong things again and help you do the right things again.

I've found the biggest contributors to improving my beer has been the following 3 books:

Brewing Classic Styles
How To Brew
Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation

BCS & How to brew would probably be the best for beginners, then follow up with the yeast book.

Don't aim for high but continuous efficiency.
Learn your equipment and try to keep consistency.

Buy more fermenters. If you have them you will use them. Give your beer enough time to get good before you drink the last of it. Dark beers and higher alcohol beers take more time than light color and low alcohol beer to get good. Start by brewing lighter color and alcohol beers so you have some good ones to drink while waiting for the others to mature.

Buy more fermenters. If you have them you will use them. Give your beer enough time to get good before you drink the last of it. Dark beers and higher alcohol beers take more time than light color and low alcohol beer to get good. Start by brewing lighter color and alcohol beers so you have some good ones to drink while waiting for the others to mature.

Just understanding this will help you out a lot.
It's all about planning.
You can't rush the beer.

Back