Fan wiring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebas83

Reaction score
Hey guys. Building a fridge and am going to wire my fan in parallel with the compressor so it only fires when cooling. Is that what y'all do or are there any creative wiring tricks out there?

Thanks
-S

What fan are you referring to? Evaporator, condenser, or external fan? For mine, I've added a small computer power supply fan that I have wired for constant on (to keep the box temp consistent), and switch all refrigerator systems on/off by controller.

It's a small CPU fan for circulating air inside the fridge. I don't want it running constantly, I don't think. Does it make a huge difference?

I just bought this cycle timer from ram meter.com. I can control the time on and time off by adjusting the 2 dials. This is a wiring diagram for the 8 pin base plate I picked up at the local electronics store.

image-1146774733.jpg

image-2926649371.jpg

I've got my temp controller power an outlet. Keezer plugs into outlet. I took an old cell-phone charger (I think it is 6 volts or something) and spliced it into a little 12v computer squirrel cage fan. The fan cuts on whenever the compressor cuts on and moves some air around. Works great for me.

Why not just leave it running 24/7?

It takes almost zero power, not to mention its probably not good to start wiring other electronics in parallel into your condenser circuit.

Why not just leave it running 24/7?

It takes almost zero power, not to mention its probably not good to start wiring other electronics in parallel into your condenser circuit.

Agree. Don't see any disadvantage to constant on recirculation.....I use a 110V PC fan, but draws almost nothing.

All of the commercial coolers run the evaporator fan 100% of the time. My bev-Air cooler does that to keep the whole unit at a consistent temp.[/QUOTE

My TRUE GDM-49 does the same in a stock setup, but I power the entire unit off/on via controller. Huge electric savings to only have the PC fan running and does a great job.

All of the commercial coolers run the evaporator fan 100% of the time. My bev-Air cooler does that to keep the whole unit at a consistent temp.[/QUOTE

My TRUE GDM-49 does the same in a stock setup, but I power the entire unit off/on via controller. Huge electric savings to only have the PC fan running and does a great job.

Yea, OP should just wire the fan in so its always on. The benefits you gain from it always circulating the air will let you reduce how many times your compressor has to cycle on and off.

All of the commercial coolers run the evaporator fan 100% of the time. My bev-Air cooler does that to keep the whole unit at a consistent temp.

501irishred

I'm not understanding your huge savings.

The stock TRUE GDM evaporator fan motor draws about 9 watts. If run continuously, that's 216 watt-hours/day or 6.48 kilowatt-hours/month. At $0.15 / kilowatt-hour, that's only 97 cents per month. Two fans can run for less than $2 per month.

I'm not sure which fan you're using but a quick search of 110v pc fans show anywhere from 6 to 13 watts.

501irishred

I'm not understanding your huge savings.

The stock TRUE GDM evaporator fan motor draws about 9 watts. If run continuously, that's 216 watt-hours/day or 6.48 kilowatt-hours/month. At $0.15 / kilowatt-hour, that's only 97 cents per month. Two fans can run for less than $2 per month.

I'm not sure which fan you're using but a quick search of 110v pc fans show anywhere from 6 to 13 watts.

Well that's embarrassing. Save a penny, earn a penny?

Even if my math was better, and I'd have run the numbers myself, I'd still have run it this way for simplicity. (had to make myself feel better somehow:eek:)

Well that's embarrassing. Save a penny, earn a penny?

Even if my math was better, and I'd have run the numbers myself, I'd still have run it this way for simplicity. (had to make myself feel better somehow:eek:)
Not meant to embarrass. I have a GDM-10 ferm chamber and a GDM-12 keg cooler. I ran the numbers a while back to see what that constant air circulation was costing me. In the end, I figured it was worth $2 a month. It's the compressor that draws over 90% of the power usage. When I'm not using the ferm chamber, I block the door open and let the evaporator fan dry everything out for a day and then I unplug it.

Not meant to embarrass. I have a GDM-10 ferm chamber and a GDM-12 keg cooler. I ran the numbers a while back to see what that constant air circulation was costing me. In the end, I figured it was worth $2 a month. It's the compressor that draws over 90% of the power usage. When I'm not using the ferm chamber, I block the door open and let the evaporator fan dry everything out for a day and then I unplug it.

No worries, I'm always (most always?) willing to listen to reason! :mug:

Thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for. Wasn't confident running a fan or two one way or another. Good input!

Back