Just kegged a honey porter..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus

Reaction score
I have it in fridge now sitting at 30psi. Was going to leave it like that for 24 hours. Problem is I dont know what to do then. Any suggestions for porters? Leave at 30psi longer or bring it on down? I read some threads and I catch some stuff and sorry but some just kind of goes over my head. Brand new to this and learning as I go.

You have to decided how much c02, usually stated in "volumes" that you want in solution and then set the pressure on the regulator to the correct PSI to achieve that level of c02 based on the temperature of the liquid.

Here is a useful link:

Draft system line balancing

So typically porters are carbonated to 1.7-2.3 volumes. If you choose 2 volumes and your beer is at 45 degrees then look at the second table and see that you need a c02 pressure of 9 psi.

Setting the regulator at 30 psi will allow you to reach 2 volumes faster than setting it at 9 psi, but the goal is to turn it down before you overshoot your target. 30 psi at a reasonable temperature would give you an extremely spritzy porter so you definitely want to turn it down and 24 hours is probably a reasonable time to do so.

Ideally you want a balanced system where the serving and carbonating pressure are identical. You can read the link above for a detailed treatment of the topic but the very brief version is that if you bought an assembled beer line it is probably between 5 and 10 feet and that will probably work ok most of the time.

Thanks. I will check out the link. Will turn down to 9 after work tommorow.

Don't forget to relieve the pressure before you tap it (With the relief valve)- Otherwise you will still have 30PSI until you splash enough beer out to relieve it.

Thanks Mo. Didnt think of that. Forum is great with all the help. Never really even touched a corny keg before.

You all would have laughed at me I had the kid holding tight on the floor and I was pulling that lid up with everything I had. Thought it was broke.Had to call the lhbs to find out you push the lid in first.:cross:

You all would have laughed at me I had the kid holding tight on the floor and I was pulling that lid up with everything I had. Thought it was broke.Had to call the lhbs to find out you push the lid in first.:cross:

Not the first time I've read this on here- Just be glad you called and figured it out- at least your knuckles are intact :) Many a new brewers encounter a new keg under pressure, and when they learn how to open it, proceed to bang up their hand trying to get it open (even after relieving pressure). A rubber mallet, or quick tap with palm of the hand prevents you from scraping your knuckles on the rim. It'll come in handy later when you empty this keg :mug:

And I can not wait to start to empty the keg.:rockin:

Good idea on the mallet. At the very least I knew to take the pressure off it first.

Took the pressure down to 10psi and will let sit few more days. Might of made a mistake. I released the pressure before I set it 10. Well I will relax and drink a hobgoblin and try to watch the pitiful game the NFL serves us tonight.

Whew. Thanks guys. Going to try and test the beer sunday to see how I will have to tweak it. Will tell you all how it goes.

All right had to try. Taste not too bad. Just a lttle flat. Was at 9psi. Pumped up to 13psi and will let sit a few more days. So far not too disapointing

:rockin:I am such a tool. Ok just an update. Kind of that bannanna bread aroma to it. Does not taste too bad and what little head there is , there is retention(sp?) on the side of glass. I know no one can really tell me what is exactly wrong. Just feel the need to share. Hell yeah though I am drinking beer that I brew baby!!!:ban::tank:

Back