first ipa recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abelseville

Reaction score
Attempting my first partial mash and first IPA. Switching out 2 row with aromatic malt because that is all I have with diastatic power (am I thinking right here?) What will the aromatic malt contribute to this in terms of flavor? I also have some special B and caramunich im thinking of throwing in just because it's there. Any thoughts appreciated.

2lbs. Aromatic malt
2lbs. crystal L.60
6.6 Lbs light LME
1.0 oz. Magnum @ 60 min.
1.0 oz. cascade @ 10 min.
1.0 oz. cascade @ flameout
1.0 oz. amarillo @ dryhop

If you are mashing, 2 row will convert itself and others. Too much aromatic and way too much crystal there. Special B is not typically in an IPA.

Cut the crystal in half, and leave out the aromatic. I'm not sure aromatic has enough diastatic power to even convert itself; if it does, then it's not converting anything else.

IMO, this is a prime candidate for a steep/extract batch. Nothing more than a pound of crystal and LME; then you can let the hops shine. Let the flameout hops sit in the pot for 15 minutes prior to chilling (if using immersion-type chiller) to get a good steep on them. Add half of the LME in the last 10 minutes of the boil so it has less time to change color and carmelize the flavors.

If you're really wanting to use more grain then you could turn this into an american red/amber ale - darker, more malt-forward, less hop presense, slightly sweeter. Your additional grains (caramunich, special b, aromatic, crystal 60) would go pretty good into that style, and your hop schedule is still in range to make a nice red ale (I would leave it as is or move your 10 and flameout back 5 minutes). But, still, 2 lbs of aromatic is too much (maybe 1/2lb). Ideas, ideas :D

I should say that the crystal, special b, and caramunich are all steepable grains - no conversion is needed. The aromatic will need to be mashed, so if you plan on using it then you should pick up a 1/2lb of 2-row.

awesome info stpug! Thanks~! I will go with your advice and do the extract/steep. Im going to make a ten gallon batch and split it in two carboys and dry hop the one with amarillo and other with chinook to try discerning between the fruity and piney hops.

I should say that the crystal, special b, and caramunich are all steepable grains - no conversion is needed. The aromatic will need to be mashed, so if you plan on using it then you should pick up a 1/2lb of 2-row.

I see a lot of recipes that have aromatic as steeping grains. Is this just a waste then?

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that you can get _some_ aromatics and flavor from the grain but will also get starches. I believe you'll get _more_ aromatics and flavor from the grain, plus some additional sugar if mashed in the proper temp range (~145-160F) with an appropriate water:grain ratio.

And, I guess I should take back what I said in my previous reply about needing an additional 1/2lb 2row. Since aromatic has enough diastatic power to convert itself and the crystals/caras don't need to be mashed, you should have plenty in those grains to convert fairly fully if you're in the correct temperature range. It would be a benefit to have a little additional 2row but not absolutely necessary. Put your grains in a 1:1.5 grain:water ratio pot of water and let sit at 152F for 45minutes, and I bet you'll get good extraction from the grains. Give them a sparge in your brewpot water and you should be set.

Edit: I'd agree that what you propose in your first post is not sufficient for 10 gallons. I was assuming half of that (5 gallons) and you'd be good for an IPA or Amber/Red.

I see a lot of recipes that have aromatic as steeping grains. Is this just a waste then?

Aromatic can convert- it's a darker Munich malt. You can use 100% aromatic in a batch, so it's got plenty of diastastic power. It just is something that is "intensely malty", so it's best used in small doses- like 6 ounces in a 5 gallon batch to enhance maltiness. Two pounds would be way too much!

Back