Pannell's Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pannell77

Reaction score
So I started homebrewing a few weeks ago and I am about a week away from kegging my first two brews. I decided that I wanted to build a keezer after seeing Jester's build on here among countless others.

I started with a small 5.6 cu.ft. freezer that I picked up on craigslist for $50 and then headed to the hardware store. Below are some photos of the progress, everything is done except for the temp controller and the tile top. I purchased a temp controller on ebay but didn't realize that it was designed for heating only so I have a new one on the way.

imag0377e.jpg

By pannell77 at 2012-05-05

imag0378up.jpg

imag0379e.jpg

imag0387p.jpg

imag0388s.jpg

imag0389w.jpg

imag0390f.jpg

imag0391s.jpg

imag0392j.jpg

Is the frame on casters? Did you totally enclose it with wood? Are you worried about overheating with it enclosed? Did you install any kind of ventilation system? What are you putting down for the bar-top (what kind of tile)? Are you cooling the 'coffin'?

Looks good so far!

Yes the frame is on casters and it has a little bit more support than what is shown on there. I added another 2x4 on the bottom and across the front for the paneling since it was slightly bowed and its only 1/4" pine sheeting. The 2 front casters are rotational the back 2 are fixed, 3" casters since it weighs quite a bit with everything loaded up.

It is not totally enclosed, the back is open for easy removal of the freezer if needed and there is about a 2" gap all the way around between the freezer and where the wood is on the frame, so not really worried about it overheating.

The bar top is probably going to be granite tile, haven't decided on exact color/pattern yet. Going to the store this weekend to get that decided and then install this week.

The coffin is being cooled, I will take some pictures of that later and post them up. I have a 120MM fan inside the freezer to draw air up to the additional area that was added by the collar, inside the coffin I have 2 smaller cpu fans, one drawing air in and one pushing air back into the freezer, the whole thing is insulated as well.

Thanks for the kind words. My fiancee told me "i can't believe you actually made that". Thanks for the vote of confidence dear....i am an engineer who knows how to use tools.

Thanks for the kind words. My fiancee told me "i can't believe you actually made that". Thanks for the vote of confidence dear....i am an engineer who knows how to use tools.

Yes you do my friend. Awesome job.

How much did you over hang the freezer lid and your enclosure? Any problem with stability when opening and did you have to put together in the room?

I will measure for you tonight, but I believe it overhangs about 12" on the front, maybe a little more. There is no stability issue at the front but when I open the lid all the way up it wants to tip backwards due to the weight of the lid. I had some spare free weights laying around and I just stuck those on the sides in between the freezer and the skin to balance it all out.

I did assemble most of the parts once I got it upstairs mainly due to space restrictions and carrying it up the steps. I did all the tiling once it was assembled upstairs as well. I imagine that the lid weighs close to 200lbs with the wood and tile and cement board on there. One of these days I am going to take it off and weigh it. A friend of mine said he can get me some hydraulic props to install to hold it up but needs to know the exact weight.

Looked great until I saw those hideous stools. Haha just messin with you buddy. Looks fantastic! Im planning a keezer build this summer and may steal some of your ideas.

Thanks both of you. Jester was obviously the original inspiration.

I actually want to make the stools Ohio Bobcats but cant find any fabric. I am an OSU fan but I am an OU alumni.

I have put in a stout tap in the center since those photos were taken and added chalkboard tap handles.

Back