PCTG plastic. Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codename46

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently stumbled upon a PCTG plastic container with a spigot that I figured would be nice for homebrewing. I usually use a glass carboy and have 2 that I actively use but bought some of these containers to try them out.

I think Better Bottles and other plastic brewing containers use PETG, and the cursory research I did about PCTG indicates that it's similar to PETG in chemical properties. However, I found absolutely nothing on whether or not it's safe for storing alcohol beverages. I used one of the containers to brew mead, and I'm concerned about the plastic being soluble with the alcohol, or leeching undesirable chemicals.

Thoughts on PCTG?

Thanks for your time.

They sure look cool and I like the spigot on top with the handle then just turning on it's side to pour.
Re your question: have you tried to contact the manufacturer?

They sure look cool and I like the spigot on top with the handle then just turning on it's side to pour.
Re your question: have you tried to contact the manufacturer?

I have and they said they would give me MSDS information but they haven't given it to me yet.

The plastic is considered #7 plastic and I was wondering if #7 plastic is generally considered safe to use for brewing "light" alcohol (say, around 8% ABV or less)

#7 plastic means "other" so that doesn't tell you anything. You need to find out from the manufacturer if it's food safe. That's the only way to be sure. You can't say for sure that any one type of plastic is universally food safe; an HDPE fermenting bucket is food safe, but an HDPE paint bucket may not be due to different dyes, additives, release agents, etc.

Back