$90 fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Howdy!
figured i'd post this up in case it would help anyone.

I Along with everyone else during the summer is going to have some issues controlling fermentation temps properly. So in my searching for something better then the swamp cooler and ice, and really not wanting to build the son of a fermentation chamber. I ran across a few people using wine chillers. so on went the craigslist hunt! after a day or two, i came across a 30 bottle haier wine chiller and contacted them. after work i rushed over and had it in my car... was a little bit larger then i was thinking, but the bigger the better!
Best part of this is... it holds my 6.5 gallon buckets with room for the airlock and a few inches above that without a hitch. Also, you can specify the temperature from 45-65 degrees which is perfect for me! i figure the temps inside the bucket are going to be a few degrees warmer, so if it does really heat up in there i can just knock it down a few degrees and cold crash it later on. and it was only $90! now i have it plugged in and running, and holding at 45 degrees (from 81 in about 6-7 minutes) to test it out a bit. i haven't tested fermentation in it just yet (that is tonight/tomorrow) i'll let you guys know how it turns out :) anyone who uses these have any tips??

Here it is about 2 minutes after i plugged it in, so it is showing 74, but got too giddy to not take a picture :)

5896861277_4e7d05b000_z.jpg

Better beer, here i come! :ban:

I've been wanting to acquire one of these for some time. I need to start watching craigslist for one.

I'd also be curious about the inside dimensions.

Good find. For all diy'ers. For around $175 making a chamber that holds about 4 carboys. Search for thread by bucks04. Plus gets me more counter space. :)

here is a photo they had sent me when i described what i was doing with it. they did not ferment in it so they couldn't give me any idea how well it was going to work (not sure why ha) but hope this helps! i'll get the dimensions when i get back to my place tonight. but it does have the compressor hump in the back
5897696284_9ef947680f_z.jpg

my bucket comes up to right where the neck starts, HTH!

Sorry, forgot to grab the dimensions! i'll try and do that when i get home tonight. However i have a wheat ipa sitting on yeast, set it to 65* and it's sitting at 65* for the past 2 days now perfectly! this thing is rather amazing.and i dont have to open the door to check the temps either

I have the exact same one and love it, actually found mine on craigslist too. I've used it many times and it holds my temps perfect.

Before I buy one of these, looking to see how the unit is holding up for either molson or rivenin? also, would this unit fit a 6.5 g carboy with a airlock?

That is definitely going to be my next equipment purchase. I honestly don't know why I haven't thought of that before. Any clue where you could get one new?

Mine has held up great, I bought it used and have had it myself 3 years now and have had no issues. I have a 6 gallon better bottle in it and use a blow off tube instead of a airlock, so I'm not sure how 6.5 with one would fit.

Before I buy one of these, looking to see how the unit is holding up for either molson or rivenin? also, would this unit fit a 6.5 g carboy with a airlock?

mine is holding up great as well.

with a 6.5 carboy... it's... interesting with an airlock lol, but it works. i have to shove the bung way in there and still am worried about it at times, but my better bottles work wonderfully.

Great find my friend. Along those same lines I am getting my 17.8 cu ft chest freezer dropped off today. Now I can convert the fridge I was using into my kegerator. After a marathon bottling night 2 nights ago and another one ahead tonight, this can not happen soon enough.

Nice! I also ferment in a wine fridge from craigslist. Works perfectly. A few tips... I wouldn't trust that digital temperature control - check it against the actual temperature inside to make sure it's accurate. Also, my fridge had a 10-15°F differential between the top of the fridge and the bottom, and the temperature fluctuated pretty wildly over the course of a day. I think it's because the glass door doesn't insulate very well. Installing a computer fan both eliminated the temperature difference and helped the fridge maintain a more consistent temperature.

with a carboy full of wort and the fermometer on it. i haven't had an issue with temp yet. did you perform the test with it empty? or with a bucket/carboy in it?

with a carboy full of wort and the fermometer on it. i haven't had an issue with temp yet. did you perform the test with it empty? or with a bucket/carboy in it?

I tried it both ways, empty and with a water-filled carboy. The carboy temp was obviously much more stable than the air temp and stayed within about a 5°F range over 24 hours (this is with the probe taped to the side of the carboy and insulated). The top of the carboy was 3-4°F warmer than the bottom. During fermentation, when the wort is constantly moving, I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue. I'm just really anal and it bugged me, so I added the fan and an external temp controller so I could keep the temp fluctuations to <1°F and maintain a stable temp during active fermentation.

Mind you this is with a pretty large fridge with thin walls (the 52-bottle Vissani that Home Depot sells). A smaller, better insulated fridge might be just fine without the fan.

You will want to cover the door with something though, so you don't oxidize your beer by light.

That's never an issue with wine, because a little oxidation is good with a great wine.

Back