I need inspiration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongoose40

Reaction score
I'm looking to the boards to help me decide what my next batch would be. Now, instead of having folks take a shot in the dark, I'll give some info.

I have a belgian dubbel bottle conditioning right now - I'd rather not do another belgian of any kind. I'm also not in the mood for anything real bitter - so no IPA's or the like.

I'm looking to do something ranging anywhere from a dark wheat beer, to a nut brown, or maybe a fat tire type brew.

Within those confines, has anyone made anything great recently that I should do? If you're real proud of it, do you have a recipe?

I realize this is more general than most posts, but hey; maybe someone will run with it.

Do a dunkelweizen with a single decoction. A fun brewday, a great malty/yeasty brew, lots of layers of flavor, quick turnaround.

Sounds like you want something fairly dark. I tried to make a light colored beer that had flavor like a darker beer, minus the bitter roasted qualities. This one is still in my fermenter but is already pretty tasty! Here's a link.

I know you said no pa but today im brewing an esb with NZ pacific jade. You could do a brown ale with some kinda new Zealand hops. Thats kinda what im into now.

hmmm....right now I think the dunkelweizen is looking pretty attractive.

Thank's for the link BuddyWeiser - That is definitely something I'd like to try in the future.

I've made a Baltic Porter and Imperial Stout back to back that have dominated all. They probably aren't what you are looking for, but are fantastic.

Just experimented on a brown and it is amazing.

6lbs Pale Malt
2 lbs brown Malt
1 lb 12oz Victory Malt
3 oz choc.

1 oz fuggle 60
1oz fuggle 10

I had never used that much victory before but this thing is damn good. Nutty and roasty, just like I like my nut browns.

Not a huge fan of sours, I have been able to try a few but they never took on with me.

I actually did end up making the Dunkelweizen...and I had quite an adventure. I made one that was just wheat malt, munich, and a quarter pound chocolate malt. Completely forgot to put the chocolate malt in because I am an idiot.

Anyway, in the midst of my freak out, I decided to do a mini mash with just enough water to collect the sugar from the chocolate malt. More than half way through the boil, I poured the wort off of the pure chocolate malt into the mix. I didn't even use all of it because I had no idea what I was doing and didn't want to completely ruin it.

Anyway, never had this brand of troubleshooting before. I hope it's at least sorta good!

Back