Dry Hopping Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulhaircorey

Reaction score
Hello All,

Pretty new to the game still, having brewed a couple 5 gallon batches and a couple 2.5 gallon half batches, and so far have not been completely thrilled with the hop profile results.

Besides adding more hops to the boil, I want to dry hop a couple of my next batches. Have a couple batches at 2 weeks now and plan on moving to secondaries to throw the dry hops in..

My question is- when you boil the hops you clearly sanitize the muslin bag (if you're using them) and the hops too (though I assume they're sanitized already when you buy them and open them up for the brew, but what about dry hopping if you use a muslin bag; do you need to sanitize it first if you use one? And how would you go about doing that?

Thanks!

Corey

boil the bag for a couple minutes to sanitize it (but not the hops). dump the hops in the bag, and dump the bag in the beer. hops are naturally infection-resistant

I soak the bag and a couple of marbles in starsan for a couple minutes then ring it out. Dunk the hops in starsan before I open the bag of hops. Fill the bag with hops and marbles tie it off and drop it in!

I don't bother using a bag, I just dump the hops right into my primary once it gets close to reaching FG.

Don't go through the trouble of bagging dry hops. By the time you rack they will have settled out fine. If your worried about floaters or accidently drawing out hop bits, tie a drawstring nylon hop bag at the end of your racking hose

Back