From juice 2 Cider in 6 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead209

Reaction score
So first and foremost this was way to easy lol. So I had 4 Mr.Beer Kegs not being used so I decided to do a cider run in them. I ran 3 different brands of store bought juices ( Great Value/Walmart, Motts, Treetop ) and 1 Cider ( Treetop ). Each Keg got 2 gals juice/cider, 1/2 packet of Red Star Montrachet ( Dry wine yeast ), 3 cans of frozen juice concentrate and 1 pound raw cane suger to bump gravity from 1.045 to 1.080. The cider fermented very hard for the first 3-4 days and then slowed down, I took a gravity reading yesterday ( 5 days later ) it is now 1.005. So that is roughly a 9.5% abv, and believe it or not I tasted it today and it is pretty darn good and very strong. Here are some pics.

GEDC1464.jpg

GEDC1465.jpg

GEDC1471.jpg

GEDC1468.jpg

GEDC1470.jpg

Here is a cup of cider it still has a little natural carbonation, and is still hazy with yeast. The one thing I have noticed is that it gives off some some unpleasant vapors/smells but if you drink it through a straw it really helps with the overall quality of the beverage. Im sure it will only get better with time, and I will be aging some of it seeing that I got about 10 gals.

GEDC1476.jpg

Also I dont know if this contributed to the fast ferment but i added 1\2 teaspoon of brewmaster yeast nutrient and energizer per gal

Morning after update, cider was very strong in the buzz department. Also I think I might have got a side effect of diariha, I believe I read somewhere this can be caused by all the fresh/active yeast any thoughts ?

Let it age - I'm drinking some right now that I brewed in early Oct. It'll be better come Xmas

Well guys I cracked open a growler of treetop cider and all I can say is wow, harshness is gone and apple flavor more intense. Totally would not believe this is 9.5% abv. Cider + time = liquid trouble.

Is it dry? I'd suspect not, with sugar and apple juice concentrate :)

My brother did the same sort of thing with 1g juice to 1lb brown sugar.. let it go for a month and then crashed it. We tasted it side-by-side with by the book apfelwein and yes it tasted cheaper but still quite the defensible drink.

It's amazing the depth and complexity of flavors one can achieve through careful fermenting of highest-grade ingredients, yes.. but I think the greater fun of brewing is projects like this :)

I fermented it dry, and added a bit of suger to carb it, and a bit of truvia to sweeten it to taste. Next time I think I will try it dry though.

Back