cooking with beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldwater

Reaction score
I tried to brew a porter but it ended up way too sweet for my liking. Too much malto dextrin. Drinkable but not really enjoyable. Does any one have any recipe sugestions to salvage this beer as either a barbecue sauce or glaze?

olllllo said:
1) 2) Take some and reduce it for an ice cream topping (Lucy Saunders)

I'm not sure I would do that if it's hopped (what I've had and tried to re-create was using runnings from the MLT, pre-hopping). I've *heard* that boiling a beer down into a sauce would result in it becoming extremely bitter.

the_bird said:
I'm not sure I would do that if it's hopped (what I've had and tried to re-create was using runnings from the MLT, pre-hopping). I've *heard* that boiling a beer down into a sauce would result in it becoming extremely bitter.

Yea.

I guess it depends on how hopped it was. Said it was too sweet.

I knew some Jamaicans that liked their porters and stouts like a rootbeer float. Too sweet for me.

Brisket Mop
1 large red onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 serrano chiles chopped
6 (12oz) bottles dark beer
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
combine allingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 15min

baste the brisket every 20-30 mins while smoking at around 200f aprox 5-6 hrs.

mustard beer butter
2tsp yellow mustard seeds
2tsp black mustard seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
1 cup dark beer
2tsp wine or ditilled white vinegar
2tsp mustard powder
2Tbls prepared mustard (adjust to taste)
1 stick butter at room temp
Put the seeds, shallots, vinegar and beer in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 8-12 mins until beer has mostlt evaporated and mixture is thick and syrupy. Remove from pan and cool to room temp.
place remining ingredients in a mixing bowl or food processor, blend, then add cooled beer mixture and blend.

Beer marinade
2 cups beer
1/4 cup honey mustard
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp coarse salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 medium onion sliced thin
1/2 red or green bell pepper chopped fine
3 scallions chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped fine
2 slices 1/4" thick of fresh ginger smashed or chopped fine
1 Tbls paprika
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
Place first 4 ingredients in a bowl and whish until salt is dissolved, add remaining ingredients ad blend.
Store in glass or plastic in frige for up to 3 days

Enjoy with a great meal and a great beer!!

Carbonnade a la Flamande

3 1/2 lbs top blade steaks, 1 inch thick, trimmed of gristle and fat and cut into 1-inch pieces. (Can use any chuck roast if blade steaks are not available.)
Table salt and ground black pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs yellow onions (about 3 medium sized), halved and sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 8 cups)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 tsp)
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup low-sodum beef broth
1 1/2 cups (12 oz bottle) dark ale or stout beer
4 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with kitchen twine
2 bay leaves
1 Tbsp cider vinegar

1 Adjust oven rack to lower middle postion; preheat oven to 300°F. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, then season generously with salt and pepper. On the stove top, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat until beginning to smoke; add 1/3 of the beef to the pot. Cook without moving the pieces until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes; using tongs, turn each piece and continue cooking until second side is well browned, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer browned beef to a separate bowl. Repeat with second third of the beef and an additional 2 teaspoons of oil. (If the drippings in the bottom of the pot are very dark, add half a cup of the chicken or beef broth and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits; pour liquid into the bowl with the browned beef and continue.) Repeat again with 2 more teaspoons of oil and the remaining beef. Remove beef from the dutch oven.

2 Add 1 Tbsp oil to dutch oven; reduce heat to medium low. Add the onions, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and tomato paste; cook, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, until onions have released some moisture, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in broths, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay, vinegar, browned beef with any of the accumulated juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full simmer, stirring occasionally; cover partially, then place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted into beef meets little resistance, about 2 hours.

3 Discard thyme and bay. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can serve plain or over egg noodles, rice, or potatoes.

Serves 6.

This is REALLY good!

Beer works well when mixed about 50/50 with Olive oil (flavored oil is even better) to spray on ribs or Boston butt for the smoker. Spray it on the night before after you apply the rub and repeat in the morning. JD and apple juice work well too!Good stuff!!!

Latest posts

Back